Forum OpenACS Q&A: Nightly Tarballs

Collapse
Posted by James Darwin on
Hi, I'm new to OpenACS.

How do you use these nightly tar balls???

I tried "tar -zxvf nigtly-tarball.tar.gz" but that didn't work. So,
I tried "gunzip nigtly-tarball.tar.gz" then tried tar "-xvf
nigtly-tarball.tar" and nothing happens.

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
The machine was recently upgraded and that broke the job which
creates the nightly tarball.  tar -xzvf would be the right thing
to do once it is fixed (right now it is a gzipped empty file).
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I've re-pinged Roberto asking him to please fix the scripts to reflect the changes that resulted from his upgrade of the system.
Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
The nightly tarball was generated last night so you should now be able
to download and untar it.
Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
The nightly tarball is being sort of generated. I just put an updated one in there.

I've been having trouble tracking down where the problem is. I don't think it caused by the much-needed update I made on the machine.

What should happen is that sdm would export a copy of every project for which cvs settings have been entered into data/sdm-source/. Then another proc would tar that up and put it in data/sdm-nightly-build. The second part is working, it's the first that isn't.

Collapse
Posted by James Darwin on
I can now untar them. So, these nightly tarballs, what do they contain? OpenACS 4.6? I don't know much about CVS... when people work (fix bugs, etc), do the changes get reflected in the nightly tarballs? So, when someone fixes a bug on a certain day, on that night, will the new tarball have the fixed bugs?

What about previous versions of OACS? E.g. 4.5? People still develop on OACS 4.5 don't they? Is there a CVS for OACS 4.5 or is that not supported?

Thanks.

Collapse
Posted by Roberto Mello on
The nightly tar balls are tar balls of the current code in CVS HEAD, that means whatever was last committed up to 00:15 hours every night.

It contains what will eventually become OpenACS 4.6, when it's released. OpenACS 4.6 is 4.5 plus lots of fixes. No major overhaul is being done in 4.6. That will happen in 4.7.

-Roberto