Forum OpenACS Development: Response to Site nodes inherit permissions in a strange way

Jun, thank you for the clarification. I think I understand now. You are basically suggesting that new subsites get  attributes from the new subsite's position in the directory tree (hierarchical --next highest subsite), instead of from the location of the admin page being accessed (operations context --where the "command" is executed).

The hierarchical approach has advantages in structured behavior for programming and content purposes, yet...

The current operations-context approach has greater flexibility which can be important when dealing with a complex hierarchy (more than one parent attributes... such as each client under its own branch, and varying in subsite attributes according to "use" templates)

Lars, Jun et al:

Could the UI be arranged so that the parent subsite be chosen via an html select tag that presents currently available subsites?  This defers the choice to admins without consideration to operations-context of the admin page or being dependent on a hierarchical structure, while retaining the benefits of computer generated choices for less chance of user input error.

In any case, I appreciate your explanation, Jun, as I had previously misunderstood the current implementation to be hierarchical. =0

cheers,