Forum .LRN Q&A: Installation Difficulties

Collapse
Posted by Raad Al-Rawi on
I have tried several times over the last week (last attempt today at about 13:00 GMT) to install dotLRN (on RH Linux + Oracle 8.1.7), from the latest CVS as per the instructions on dotlrn.openforce.net, but have had persistant problems doing so.
First I noticed that the Calendar dependencies were not automatically fulfilled (although they appeared to be OK on inspection), but more significantly once I had completed the dotLRN install, I had problems with users joining subgroups, with the administrator adding a user to a subgroup, and with users not seeing Forums in the Community portal pages.
Needless to say I have tried eradicating any trace of previous installs, and starting from scratch (tho' not reinstalling AOLServer) and this has not made a difference.
I have logged these problems with the dotLRN bug tracker, but I would appreciate any assistance to resolve them (or to obtain a working version) as I need a working system as soon as possible.

Thanks

Raad
Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
Raad,

- give me more data about calendar dependencies? What's happening incorrectly?

- subgroups: there are default behaviors we set up for Sloan which may not be immediately intuitive. You can't join a subgroup if you're not a member of the parent group. Or are you seeing a direct bug / error page?

- not seeing forums: did you make your users "guests"? Can you see the forums administration interface in the control panel?

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
Ben, calendar requires acs-datetime 4.0 and I think APM is looking at the version rather than the tag and 4.0b2 < 4.0. I will check if that is in fact the case. I saw this on the install I did yesterday.

From the calendar.info file...

<version name="4.0b2" url="https://openacs.org/apms/acs-datetime-4.0b2.apm">

<provides url="acs-datetime" version="4.0"/>
Collapse
Posted by Deds Castillo on
You are not seeing the forums because of a permissions problem.  See this bug I posted several weeks ago.

http://dotlrn.openforce.net/bugs/bug?bug%5fnumber=39

Collapse
Ben
Thanks for getting back so promptly. Some more info:
Calendar - When installing packages from the APM, after selecting all the packages on the first page, the second page says there are some problems with dependencies and the last 3 packages (acs-datetime, calendar and dotlrn-calendar) are unchecked and (if I remember correctly!) the calendar indicates acs-datetime >= v4.0, and the other 2 follow on as a result.
The acs-datetime I am getting from CVS is actually v4.0b2, and I guess this should be OK(?)

Subgroups - Users trying to join a subgroup are members of the parent community. What I'm seeing appears to be a direct error.

Forums - The users are Staff with Full Access and not Guests. The forums admin is visible to the admin user.

Thanks
Collapse
Deds

Does that mean you reverted to an earlier version, or the problem part of the code in the CVS was reverted?
(I guess the CVS can't have been reverted unless I'm missing a trick here!).
Collapse
Posted by Deds Castillo on
Raad,

I just took out the buggy fix :) as of the moment and manually updated the db so that the classes/communities inherit permissions.  This of course reverts it back to the old behavior and the correct fix must still be applied.

As an alternative, you could also assign the proper permissions via the site-map for the different group types for each class/community but you'll have to do that for each and everyone of them, plus new communities/classes will still have broken permissions.

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
I was wrong about apm not looking at the provides bit.  The real problem
is that in acs-events the provides is set as

<provides url="acs-event" version="0.2d"/>

and the requires is

<requires url="acs-events" version="0.1d"/>

(the s is missing in the acs-events file).

Collapse
Thanks Jeff<br>
So if I fix the acs-events .info file before I install the packages then all should be well? (with this bit anyway)<br>
<br>
R
Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
It will then not complain about the dependency.  You could also
tick off force install and the calendar module and things will be
fine.

I did check in the fix in on the openacs-4-6 branch.

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
Also, just to be clear, you need to change the provides in acs-events.info
and the requires in acs-datetime.info (it is acs-event there as well).
Collapse
Thanks<br>
Dependencies OK now - had to fix both acs-events and acs-datetime.<br>
Now I just need the rest to work!