Forum .LRN Q&A: dotLRN Configuration error ?

Collapse
Posted by Venugopal Maddukuri on
Hi All

I am not able to add 'New Class Instance' on my dotlrn install. There is no link for the same anywhere on the interface.

Heres what I have done till now:
I got dotLRN installed using the FAQ.
Then, I created
1. Users (prof, staff, students, site-wide-admin)
2. Terms (Fall, Spring)
3. Depts ( Comp sci, architect...)
4. Subjects ( Comp Sci Labs...)

following the dotlrn-install script by Peter Marklund and manually replicating the tclweb test scripts actions using the dotLRN web interface.

So for so good. But when i go to the 'classes' admin page below:
http://localhost:8002/dotlrn/admin/term?term_id=-1

I don't get any 'New Class Instance' link...
-----

Peters' dotlrn-install script to add classes looks like this.... (more explanations follow...)

proc get_class_add_urls_foreach_subject { server_url } {

do_request "$server_url/dotlrn/admin/classes"

set class_urls_list [list]

# Loop over and add all links
    set errno "0"
    while { $errno == "0" } {
        set errno [catch {lappend class_urls_list [link find -next ~u "class-instance-new"]} error]
    }

return $class_urls_list
}

proc setup_classes { server_url } {

foreach link [get_class_add_urls_foreach_subject $server_url] {

do_request $link
        form find ~n "add_class_instance"
        form submit

#puts "add_class [response body]"

form find ~a "add-instructor-2"
        field find ~n "search_text"
        field fill "Einstein"
        form submit

#puts "add_instructor [response body]"

link follow ~c "Einstein"
    }
}

--------

so the above scripts to add new classes, basically goes to the subject page at  /dotlrn/admin/classes

and searches for links to each Subject i.e. find class-instance-new. But the html source to that page does not have any 'class-instance-new' links....

neither do I see any in the User Interface, and I am stuck, not able to add any Class Instance..

so what am i missing out ?
any help would be greatly appreciated.

cherio
venu

Collapse
I think I will try again with the dotlrn-1-0 cvs copy..

Any inputs in the meantime would be great.Its been almost 12 hours now, since I have been fixing one problem after the other ;)

Some kind words would probably encourage me to spend another 12 hours !!!

cherio
venu

Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
Did you create a term that includes dates in the present? You can't create classes for terms that are in the past.
Collapse
Yes, there are three terms and one of them in the present.

Fall 01 Sept,02 - 01 Jan,03
Spring 01 Jan,03 - 31 Jun,03

System Date shows 03 Nov,02.

BTW:

The Subject Page at

/dotlrn/admin/class?class_key=computer-laboratory.computer-science-tripos-part-ia

gives me this message:
----
Note: You must create Terms to be able to create Classes, since these must be associated with Terms.
----
and the Term: Dropdown box, does not show any of the Terms I created. Whats the problem ?

----
Anyway, I am setting up another fresh install.
Now, I have got a copy of dotlrn-1-0 & oacs-4-6-test and I am repeating the install instructions with the new set.

Thanks for the help. I will comeback for more :)

cherio
venu

Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
Here is one more pointer to trace this: when you've reinstalled, if there are still no terms showing up, look at the dotlrn_terms table directly in psql. See what's in there.
Collapse
OK , I reinstalled and it works now on the dorlrn-1-0/oacs-4-6, though there are other errors.

Ben, you were right about the dates mismatch.
I rechecked the previous install and the term dates were entered as 01 September 0002  to 01 January 0003.

The problem was that the year field is not a drop down, and I was typing only the last 2 digits of the year.

I think we will see more stupid users like me in the future.
Its better to fix it in the User Interface. Either a validation or explicitly ask for a four digit year via drop down.
-----

Now, for the newer problems :)
dotlrn-1-0/oacs-4-6/postgresql-7-3/aolserver-3-4-2

0. There is no acs-notifications package in the oacs-4-6-core. The dotlrn installation asks for this package, however, I have not noticed any problem yet without it.

1. While installing the packages via APM, there is a dependency for acs-events >=0.1d ( don't remember the exact number) in the Calander pacakage
Solution: I installed all other packages, restarted aolserver and force installed the calander. Then restarted aolserver again and installed the remaining packages.

2. Unsolved Error:
On login as a Professor, under the FAQ box, I get the following error.

***portal::render_element show callback Error! ***
Database operation "select" failed (exception NSDB, "Query was not a statement returning rows.")

The same error occurs on clicking the 'Control Panel' link from the 'Class Home'

File Storage and Calander - main pages display without errors.

cherio
venu