Forum OpenACS Development: new additions to Calendar package

Collapse
Posted by Jamie Hill on
I have created synchronization for the Calendar package. It basically allows you to import iCalendar files (which can be exported from MS Outlook) into OpenACS. It handles recurring events and multiple events. I've done quite a bit of testing on it, and it seems to work fine with everything i've thrown at it.

Anyhow, i'm basically wondering how I go about uploading it to OpenACS for inclusion in future packages?

Thanks,
Jamie Hill

Collapse
Posted by Robert Locke on
I imagine it would be best to just check your code directly into the CVS HEAD, probably after getting clearance from Ben, who "owns" calendar. And, for now, maybe you could make your changes available as a separate download in file storage.

By the way, this sounds super duper pooper scooper cool! =)

Collapse
Posted by Ben Adida on
Jamie,

Does this involve a few new files and procs, or are you doing major modifications to the existing calendar code? If it's the former, I'd say just send me a patch file and I'll apply it. If it's the latter, let's talk about doing some testing on it.

Collapse
Posted by Jamie Hill on
Ben, it involves a few new files only, no modifications to the existing calendar code. I'll send you the files.
Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
Cool!

Does it allow you to transfer events from your OACS calendar to iCalendar?

Does it have any syncing capabilites? ie. If I import my outlook today, and again next week, will it duplicate items? Will it know which ones have been modified?

Thanks
Caroline

Collapse
Posted by Jamie Hill on
Caroline, OACS->iCalendar has already been created by Ben, though I had trouble getting it to work with PostgreSQL I have seen it work under Oracle.

As for syncing capabilities, they are not yet included. This would involve some fairly major modifications to the existing Calendar code. It is basically an iCalendar importer at the moment.

Collapse
Posted by Steffen Tiedemann Christensen on
I've been reading about SyncML (http://www.syncml.org/) for the past few days now, and it occurrs to me that including this in the calender package (along with some of the other packages such as the Address Book) would be pretty neat (mostly because I would be able to sync my web site with my cell phone 😊 ).

Such a feature would also fit pretty well with the .WRK platform...

Has this been discussed before?

-stc

Collapse
Posted by Rafael Calvo on
Besides Jamie's work, another student in my lab (Andrew Zeon) wrote an alerts system (SMS + email) that might be usefull, althought may require some additional work (QA + small changes inthe datamodel). Maybe someone can look into adding that to the code base as well? Or maybe put aside for 4.7 or 4.8?