Forum OpenACS Q&A: OpenACS Article series in Linux Journal (Go Reuven!)

I'm telling you what the truth, Reuven Lerner has my vote for being one of the easiest to read after tech authors around.  Reuven, you should write a book on OpenACS.

His latest article is a basic tutorial on making an APM package from the ground up.  It is lucid, clear, and easily understood.  I learned many new things about our toolkit.  BTW, this is the December 2002 Linux Journal I'm referring to.

I'd like to see our documentation be so lucid.  Hey, currently our docs are nowhere near lucid to this degree -- we need in effect an OpenACS-HOWTO that talks about:
1.) How to set up OpenACS.
2.) How to write templated pages, with a clear procedure reference -- the current API reference isn't terribly clear to me at least.
3.) How to tune OpenACS.

I wish I could write it.

Way to go Reuven!

You'll find Reuven's December 2002 Linuz Journal article discussing the APM package manager on-line at http://www.linuxjournal.com/article.php?sid=6275.
Collapse
Posted by Reuven Lerner on
What can I say?  I'm flattered, as well as happy to know that people enjoy my writing.

As for an OpenACS book, I'm sorta kinda working on one right now.  I recently started work on a book for Apress that compares and contrasts a number of open-source Web development framekworks, including OpenACS.  When the time comes, I'll undoubtedly ask people at openacs.org for help as technical reviewers.

Sounds like a book I would buy. What other OS projects are you looking at?
Collapse
Posted by Reuven Lerner on
At this point, the book will basically look at mod_perl/Mason, J2EE, Zope, and OpenACS.  I'll also write a bit about content management, debugging server-side applications, and programming languages.