Forum OpenACS Q&A: Can you copy SourceForge CVS repository?

Collapse
Posted by Andrew Piskorski on
SourceForge question: Does SourceForge let anyone, perhaps project admins, backup the CVS repository files? Or not?? If they don't, that would really suck. But when I look at cvs log comments, it seems that whenever things get moved around (e.g., when Dan copied the Postgres driver from acs-pg and stuck it into the openacs.org cvs), people just do an import of the current sources, rather than copying the repository, which makes me wonder...
Collapse
Posted by Jamie Rasmussen on
SourceForge makes a .tar.gz of each project's complete CVS repository each night.  Project admins can access the  download from the admin page.  Only the most recent tarball is available at SF, so some project admins keep multiple ones on their own servers.  The nightly tarball is currently about 12MB.  I imagine that someone has written a short script to download the files automatically, but I haven't looked for one.  I don't know what AOL does for backup, if anything, but I'll try to remember to ask at the next chat.  I also want them to start using the syncmail scripts so that developers will get notices after commits.  According to the SourceForge documentation, SF makes backups in case of hardware failure, but won't help if the problem is your fault.
Collapse
Posted by Jamie Rasmussen on
Here's a link to the SourceForge CVS FAQ:
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=768&group_id=1
There's no direct access to the repository files, so in order to add all of the previous revisions and log notes you would need to ask the SourceForge support team to do it for you.