Forum OpenACS Q&A: RH 8.0 +postgreSql 7.3+Aolserver ad13

Hi, installed OpenAcs on the above! Problem getting pgsql to start up on boot....using the su command can manage to stop or get a status of the currently running postmaster but can not start it using the star parameter (su - username -c "..//pg_ctl start .....")..Can manage to do a stop or restart (su - username -c "..//pg_ctl stop/restart .....") ..... When i run the start pgsql if a message like this one : "The data directory was initialized by PostgreSql version 7.2 .... ". How do i run it? Logging as Root ... .root#$ su postgreuser .postgreuser$ pg_ctl -D DirectoryPath -l logfile postmaster started succesfully .postgreuser$ exit .root#$ su aoluser .aoluser$ .../nsd -t configfile .aoluser$ exit .root$ From now can acces openAcs....No probs with AOlserver! Thanks in Advance!
Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
It sounds like you've installed PG 7.3 on top of an existing PG 7.2 installation.  The datafiles are incompatible.

The best thing to do would be to reinstall PG 7.2, use the PG 7.2 version of pg_dump to dump your database, then to install PG 7.3.  Either initdb in a new data directory or move the old data directory someplace else and initdb in the default directory, then reload your data.

I think the PG docs may have some advice on how to upgrade that covers this stuff but am not 100% sure.

Collapse
Posted by Pedro Miguel on
Thanks for your help.......