Forum OpenACS Development: Openacs 4.6.1 release plan

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
I am hoping to tag a 4.6.1 beta on monday (jan 27). This would include Bart's PG 7.3 patches as well as a significant number of bug fixes (but only one data model change). I would hope the beta would be pretty clean and we could do a 4.6.1 final by the end of the week.

With that in mind, if anyone has any patches they can contribute (or has found any critical bugs we should address) please post them.

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
We decided to hold off on the 4.6.1 final release since both I and Don have both found performance issues that probably should be addressed, with foreign keys and with permissions scalability (more details on the projects page writeup). The important part of the foreign key work is done but Don is still working on his stuff.

I will post a new date once I hear from Don...

Collapse
Posted by C. R. Oldham on
So this implies that Don's permissions scalability work will indeed be in 4.6.1?
Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
Can we get an update on the progress being made towards 4.6.1?  Would it perhaps be prudent to get this release out the door with an eye towards making the major permissions and scalability issues a part of 4.7?

It seems that getting the next release out would behoove the community quite a bit, perhaps more than making the major fixes.

talli

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
Don is still working on the permissions changes. The code for the postgres side was checked in this afternoon and he is hoping to get the oracle side done this week. Other than that it's all set.

Talli, I don't think it makes sense to talk about pushing 4.6.1 out without Don's fixes given what both Don and I found on the scalability testing we did. It's also not delaying 4.7 in any material way and in any case would need to go in on both 4.6 and 4.7 branches.