Forum OpenACS Q&A: the bleeding edge ... AOLserver4 CVS

Collapse
Posted by John S on
its just not worth going there yet ...

compiling the AOLserver4 CVS and adding nssha and nsxml modules successfully still gives:

./bin/nsd -f -t /home/nobody/web/vorpal/vorpal.tcl -u nobody -g web
./bin/nsd: relocation error: /usr/local/tcl/tcl8.4.2/lib/libtcl8.4.so: undefined symbol: TclCompileScript@tclByteCodeType

so it looks to me like some tcl related garbage is not being linked properly...

Shame on the AOLserver developers for requiring such a new version of tcl.

I am sick of this sort of rubbish. What is the point of making your software so bleeding edge that it doesnt even work... and people are forced to waste their valuable time compiling useless CVS filth because there  is no portable, recent, stable release available ...

I wouldn't be so peeved if it wasnt for the fact that this AOLserver thing is supposed to be robust, powerful, industrial-strength etc etc.

bleagh.

What a waste of time

What is the point of this useless AOLserver piece of junk anyway? What can it *supposedly* do that Apache can't??

It can barely talk to a postgresql database by the looks of it, the ssl module requires BSAFE which appears to only be available with 30 day trial licenses, and it doesnt even work!

Currently, the damn thing accomplishes less than the following c program, which will compile and even run:

void  main (void) {
//I am more useful than AOLserver4 CVS
}