Forum OpenACS Q&A: Current Features ?

Collapse
Posted by Effendy Zainuddin on
Downloaded dotlrn from CVS as per the instructions given. Did not see survey package (simple or advanced) in the download folder. Are the modules available? Also based on the features list, posted at http://dotlrn.org/features/features.html, can someone point out to me exaclty what features are available at the current release?

The File Storage module is the cornerstone module for the course management system. Through a simple "explorer-type" interface, GAs create folders and upload files or URLs. This content can be kept as an archive for reuse in a future semester, or on an ongoing basis within a community.

The Bulletin Board module provides space for asynchronous interaction. Group Administrators (GAs) have control over the view (threaded or unthreaded), the default message display format, the user's ability to post new threads, and the email notification policy for postings. Users have control over their message display format and the option to cancel email notifications.

The Calendar module functions on two levels: 1) manages group events within the group and 2) aggregates each user's group events into their personal calendar in one coherent, unified view. Single and repeating events can be imported to Outlook, so that each user selects what is synched to the PDA calendar. GAs can attach files and URLs to events and create customized event types to meet the needs of their group.

The News module is a simple interface for one-way communication between GAs and group members. News items are posted to the News portlet on the group page and all news items are "pushed" to the user's personal News portlet. News items can include HTML and the GA sets the release and expiration dates for each news item.

The Group Email (Spam) module allows a GA, or the site wide administrator (SWA), to send individualized or group emails to each user's email client. The emails are archived in a "Spam History" for reuse or reference. HTML formatting can be used in the emails. If enabled, individual group members can also "spam" members.

The Homework Dropbox and portlet is a homework submission tool that enables students to upload homework assignments and allows instructors to comment/evaluate and return assignments through a simple portlet interface.

The Simple Survey module is a simple survey tool for collecting data. There are several response types and settings for allowing users to edit or retake a survey. Data can be viewed online and exported as a .CSV file and imported into Excel for manipulation and compilation.

The Advanced Survey Modules add modular layers of sophistication to the Simple Survey: branching question format; editable responses; a feedback tool that allows any user to send a form to any user; data export directly to access using web services; customizable permissions for viewing respondent data; customizable email notifications; ability to hide user identity (anonymous surveys); and the ability to copy and delete surveys and survey data.

The Event Management module was designed to offer ecommerce capability to any group needing to manage paid memberships or registration and payment for single events.

The Research Collaboration enhancements cannot be termed as modular because they are actually a set of tools that enhances system functionality in two areas: 1) collaboration space for users and 2) workflow for a document publication process. These enhancements allow for different levels of document sharing, permissioning and publication. Any user, especially faculty, can have a personal MyCommunity to which they can invite any individual to participate and collaborate. Documents can be shared and commented on within this community and then published by the author to any designated user or group in the system. Then, the document can be published to the public shell of the system and it becomes available to anyone on the Internet. With additional customization, these documents can be integrated into a research archive or digital archive system for storage and retrieval, but for the author, there is a single point of publication/upload for the document

Collapse
2: Re: Current Features ? (response to 1)
Posted by Gregor Obernosterer on
About dot.lrn I think it is best you get in touch with Lars and Peter from Collaboraid. Ad hoc I have the simple survey module installed on my biowrk.net domain, I will send you in email - furthermore there is a polls package available: http://sdm.openacs.org/new-file-storage/one-file.tcl?file_id=468

/Gregor

Collapse
3: Re: Current Features ? (response to 1)
Posted by Don Baccus on
Many of the modules live in the OpenACS 4.6 toolkit itself, dotLRN is an add-on that leverages the toolkit with a custom portal-based user interface.  If you click on the "download" link at the top of each page on this site you'll see that the OpenACS 4.6.1 Beta 2 tarball is available for downloading (it is about to become non-beta so if you don't find it, just download the final 4.6.1 tarball)

You'll find survey, in particular, in that tarball.  You need to copy your dotLRN modules to the packages subdirectory in your OpenACS 4.6.1 install directory.  We'll be cleaning this up when we release the first dotLRN 1.0 beta in the next couple of weeks (we hope)

As far as functionality goes, the events and research collaboration packages aren't released at this time but the rest is there.

Collapse
4: Re: Current Features ? (response to 2)
Appreciate it if you can e-mail me the stuff. In the mean time I will try out the link as you had recommended.
Collapse
5: Re: Current Features ? (response to 1)
Appreciate both your response. I've a clearer picture now. Will try out the available module. Will look forward for the future release.
Collapse
6: Re: Current Features ? (response to 2)
Gregor, Can you e-mail me the simple survey moudule as mentioned above. If you have already, can you please resend it?
Would really appreciate it. Thanks.
Collapse
7: Re: Current Features ? (response to 6)
Posted by Gregor Obernosterer on
cvs -z3 -d :pserver:mailto:anonymous@openacs.org:/cvsroot co -r oacs-4-6 simple-survey

/gregor