Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: nsd aborts when restarted after apparently successful openACS installation

i cut back my LD_LIBRARY_PATH to nothing to reduce the paths searched (as i only need LD... set for the visualisation toolkit) and the result was:

: root: 00:32:36 /root ; strace /usr/local/progs/aolserver/bin/nsd -t /home/nobody/web/vorpal/vorpal.tcl -u nobody -g web 2>&1 | grep -i libtcl
open("/usr/local/tcl/tcl8.4.2/lib/libtcl8.4.so", O_RDONLY) = 3
open("/usr/local/progs/aolserver-cvs/lib/libtcl8.4.so", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/local/tcl/tcl8.4.2/lib/i686/mmx/libtcl8.4.so", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/local/tcl/tcl8.4.2/lib/i686/libtcl8.4.so", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/local/tcl/tcl8.4.2/lib/mmx/libtcl8.4.so", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
open("/usr/local/tcl/tcl8.4.2/lib/libtcl8.4.so", O_RDONLY) = 3
: root: 00:33:36 /root ;

so it does find it in the end!

i just read something in the unix/README for tcl8.4.1 which has jogged my memory....

when i compiled my tcl8.4.2 i accidentally inserted a space after my --prefix= ie before the path that i wanted to install to (doh!). So it installed to / and i had to remove it manually. In the readme it says i should do a make distclean if i change any parameters to configure... and i did not do so before i recompiled with the right --prefix

so maybe that is the problem. Sorry to all if that does turn out to be the problem. After all my bitching it would of course be my own fault wouldnt it :)

well,

my humble apologies to all those whose time has been wasted trying to help me overcome the consequences of my own stupidity.

I recompiled tcl8.4.2 after doing a make distclean to clean up the mess caused by calling doing configure for tcl8.4.2 with:
--prefix= /there/should/be/no/space/b4/this/path

and then configuring again with:
--prefix=/much/better/with/no/space/b4/this/path

It still amazes me that this seems to have been the cause of all my problems... i mean, really, is it too much to expect that calling configure a 2nd time with new options should overwrite all products of previous configures with the new results, without having to do a make distclean???

oh well.

I also tried compiling AOLserver4 CVS against tcl8.4.1 and yeah, no problems there either.

A final comment is in order though. I still would not have a working AOLserver were it not for the fact that I was able to scavenge a copy of nsrewrite.so from the build I did of Matts AOLserver distribution. My CVS checkout of AOLserver4 did not come with any code for nsrewrite.so, and the nsrewrite module is NOT available at sorceforge with all the other modules for AOLserver.

Besides that the only very minor problem was that the sample openACS config file at:

https://openacs.org/doc/openacs-4/files/openacs4.tcl.txt

does not mention that openACS also needs AOLserver to load the nsdb module -- so it needs to have the line:

ns_param  nsdb            ${bindir}/nsdb.so

added at the appropriate place.

Sorry again to all those whose time was wasted especially those who took the time to try to help me.

john

The OpenACS config file hasn't been updated for AOLserver 4.0 as almost everyone here uses the OpenACS distribution of AOLserver, which forked from the AOL version a long time ago.  Merging the distributions is a recent effort, coinciding with work on the 4.0 branch which includes several other improvements.

nsrewrite isn't actually used by OpenACS so you can remove it from your config file if you want.  The module itself is in transition from OpenACS to SourceForge.  nsdb as a separate module is an AOLserver 4-ism.

I'm glad you found a solution to your problem!