Forum OpenACS Development: Re: dotWRK: Project Manager

Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on
Regarding the simple user cases:

Here is a use case that seems commonly used in work teams, and I believe could be an initial extension  of OpenACS:

Group/Person A starts with a list  of items to do (this can be a budget, list of items to do  etc.). The list includes who can complete and sign-off each item. This list would be built and modified by Groupt/Person A

Then Group/Person B reports progress/completion on the list by entering date/time completed, perhaps actual amount spent in currency or hours. In a noncomputer application, their name would be placed in a "Done by" field.

Then Group/Person C (perhaps supervisor, inspector etc.) places checkmark on items completed (for verification). (This is an option, as sometimes group/person B has full authority/supervisory role powers)

Some lists may have items that require completion before others (dependent).By default, items are independent of each other.
--- end of simple use case.

As the dotProject increases in capability, I think it would be important to have resource lists, and be able to associate WBS reference "tags" to various OpenACS objects (so some kind of coherent reports can be generated from them).  Resources that get tied to calendar/scheduling attributes should include variations: initial, current/moving, and final value, such as date of each item, ie expected start date (initial), expected start date(moving), date started,  other options could be cost etc.. This information could be used for predicting specific  resource performance on future projects (thereby increasing predictability/reducing risk).

It would be nice to connect dotProject to schedule/calendar, but I just don't see it happening for general implementation as there are many cases to consider (in context of scalability/engineering  issues)  --but my opinion is weak here as I'm *not* an expert in OpenACS development (yet =).