Forum OpenACS Development: Re: dotWRK: Project Manager

Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on
Hi Jade,

Let me know if this doesn't clarify things. I'm coming from a fairly abstract perspective, so I might have to write a few iterations to express myself clearly. =)

Gert is an less restrictive network diagram (PERT/CPM). From what I've read so far, Q-GERT seems to be the most popularly accepted revision, and is available as software called the same (I'm still looking into this).  I haven't found any really useful web references, though I'll be looking into some books in the next few weeks.

With Gert, some looping (repetition) of tasks is acceptable  Branching of network at sub-nodes is permitted, also. One might branch at a node, depending for example, on environmental circumstances not within control of the project: path A might be chosen over path B because C indicates A will not work (where the decision could not be previously determined). Each branch is given an estimate of likelihood for occurring (statistics based on history will improve accuracy of course).

WBS = Work Breakdown Structure.  WBS is the categorization/subcategorization of the project to tasks, before attaching scheduling and dependencies (order of implementation). Basically, the WBS answers the questions: What needs to be done to complete the project? Who will do each task?  How long is  each task (time)? What resources are required (costs, materials etc.)?

"Ongoing projects" might be better referred to as Operations Management. Based on the morphology of systems engineering I've read from Arthur D. Hall, III, senior member, IEEE ("Three-Dimensional Morphology of Systems Engineering" April 1969), Operations Management is a subset of Systems Engineering, which I believe resembles Program Management. Program here, refers to very large projects. I think dotProject should be able to apply to most any phase, whatever its called. So, for purposes of dotProject, I'd like to see "ongoing projects" or "Operations Management" applications also addressed. However, I don't think that dotProject should adopt any specific phase structure or categorization labels (though adoption of some consistent terminology will be needed).

With Operations Management, one can see how tactical decisions affecting daily operations can be expressed according to planned node branches discussed with GERT above.

Operations Management might include running a website (after it has been developed), or producing Woodstock 2003, or distributing humanitarian aid, where there's a phase-in, repetitive (perhaps daily) operation that lasts an extended period of time (arbitrary for purposes of dotProject), then perhaps a phase-out.

I imagine dotProject will have its own Calendar expressed, with connects to the WBS, with GANTT chart and network diagrams etc. And that the various players who perform tasks and manage resources will have their own calendars (that may share with other projects or their own external schedule entries). Scheduling-flow will have to be created so that the individual views affect the overall calendar, and changes to the overall calendar institute changes to the individual calendars.