Forum OpenACS Q&A: sqlplus not returning from db_source_sql_file ?

I'm working on adding Oracle support to my command line openacs installer.  I'm testing this out on Windows (running 8i/W2K/AS Tcl 8.3.5),  and when I source the auto-install.tcl file,  it starts sending acs-kernel-create.sql to Oracle and I get lots of "No error" lines in my log,  and then it just hangs.  When I type in

sqlplus openacs/openacs @acs-kernel-create.sql  > outputfile

from the command line,  it also hangs.

When I type

sqlplus openacs/openacs @acs-kernel-create.sql

it doesn't return to the command line,  but the the SQL prompt.

The only way I can see getting it to return is appending "EXIT" to the end of the sql file.  There's got to be a better way.  Anyone?

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
I don't have any idea, never having run Oracle under Windows, but note that auto-install.tcl doesn't work, and that current plans are to probably further streamline the normal install procedure to ask pertinent questions on the front page (system admin etc) then to do the rest of the install automatically using the install.xml extension I added to 4.6.2.  We'll get rid of the need to hit "next" buttons after the initial questions are asked.  Even today we autoconfigure dotLRN in a way that makes installation from the web interface very simple.

Currently there are no plans to fix auto-install.tcl because scripted install procedures like Peter's tclwebtest-based solution remove the need to use the web interface at all without requiring us to maintain two separate installers, the normal and auto versions.

Collapse
Posted by John Sequeira on
I've had auto-install working fine with portable.nsd for a few months,  with openacs 4.5/postgres 7.2 on Redhat Linux 8 and Windows 2K.  I didn't realize it doesn't work with AOLServer.

I've had a great deal of success running web-page based code from the command line,  so I expect I'll be able to use your install.xml-based stuff if/when I move to 4.6 (and thereby not require separately maintained installers.)

Unless you've modified db_source_sql_file,  I still expect your code won't run on Windows,  however.

Collapse
Posted by John Sequeira on
I take that last bit back.  I'm testing this out on a W2K VM I set up several years ago,  that contains a working installation of ACS,  that was installed using the stock ACS 3.x installer running on AOLServer.  I looked at the code for db_source_sql_file,  and it was identical to the 4.5 code I'm trying to get running.

So the problem seems to be in how pipes (" open "| sqlplus...") or sqlplus might work differently inside or outside AOLServer (?)  Weird.

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
If you can fill a form and click "next" to generate a PUT from your command line stuff, then the standard installer will work fine.  I'm not quite sure when auto-installer stopped working, we haven't supported it and bit-rot set in.

Either Peter or I will probably do the question/install re-ordering not long after HEAD (i.e. the future 4.7) gets fixed, which we expect in about three weeks (Jeff Davis, who will take the lead on merging 4.6 changes with HEAD, is on vacation for about 10 days and will start on this upon his return)

Collapse
Posted by Randy O'Meara on
Is there a possibility that someone can explain in more detail what can go into the install.xml file. I'm interested in using it in 4.6.3.

Don mentions it above and the fact that he added it in 4.6.2.