Forum .LRN Q&A: .LRN and Second Life

Collapse
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
Is there some interest to discuss Second Life Integration with .LRN and OpenACS at the forthcoming Conference in Vienna?
Collapse
2: .LRN and Second Life (response to 1)
Posted by Carlos Delgado Kloos on
I don't know much about it, but I would be highly interested in hearing from those who know. I believe that this will be a topic of much importance for the future.

Carlos

Collapse
3: Re: .LRN and Second Life (response to 1)
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Gustaf,

Maybe there is. I know there are is some stuff going with 2nd Life and moodle. .LRN being similar with moodle may have some interest on it.

Jun

Collapse
4: Re: .LRN and Second Life (response to 1)
Posted by Patrick Giagnocavo on
Can someone explain what, besides excellent PR and marketing, the utility of Second Life is? I get the idea of it being an online world / virtual reality, but it is a closed product owned by one company, is it not?
Collapse
5: Re: .LRN and Second Life (response to 1)
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
Yes, will be very interesting.
Collapse
6: Re: .LRN and Second Life (response to 1)
Posted by Gustaf Neumann on
Here are some introductory links for the unaware:

Top 20 Educational Locations in Second Life
http://www.simteach.com/wiki/index.php?title=Top_20_Educational_Locations_in_Second_Life

Sloodle
http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/sl/index.php/Sloodle

Second Life & Open Source (client side)
http://secondlife.com/developers/opensource/

OpenACS / DotLRN is due to its community based concept quite well suited as a counter part for SL, which provides in addition to a user-built 3d world with avatars e.g. virtual presence, spacial awareness, instant messaging, multimedia support (playing videos, etc). The interest in SL is especially in the industry very high.

Second Life accepts XML-RPC calls and can be programmed with the Linden Scripting language.

As for the OpenACS/DotLRN conference: Since nobody aside Carlos expressed interest, we have not reserved a SLOT for a SL BOF. Jun, do you have the chance to come to Vienna? Rocael, when will you be arriving?

Collapse
7: Re: .LRN and Second Life (response to 6)
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
I'll be arriving the 24th. evening. And yes, lets have this session, I'm pretty sure more people will be very interested.
Collapse
Posted by Rafael Pastor Vargas on
I think is a very good idea to have this session.

The urls that Gustaf give to us are very interesting and it seems could be a good idea to have some kind of integration.

Best regards

Collapse
Posted by Caroline Meeks on
I think this is interesting and would attend a session but I don't yet have any experience with it.
Collapse
10: .LRN and Second Life (response to 9)
Posted by Carlos Delgado Kloos on
Too bad that I will only be in Vienna on Thursday and Friday, and therefore miss this session, but I think that it is important that .LRN looks at elearning 3D!

Carlos

Collapse
11: Re: .LRN and Second Life (response to 6)
Posted by Jun Yamog on
Hi Gustaf,

Sorry I can't go to Vienna, that is way too far away from where I am now. Maybe I can help in coding if there is some interest in the future, as I have developed both in .lrn and moodle.

Jun

Collapse
12: Re: .LRN and Second Life (response to 1)
Posted by hui zhang on
A good place to get second life gold ,
We are an internet game service providing company,
to help you have a pleasant game enviroment, we supply
Second life Linden dollar suech as 24.99usd per 5K.
If you are interested, please feel free to contact us by msn: mailto:rainbowgame@hotmail.com, visit our website www.rigame.com.It's an easy and safe site for your better game experience.
Collapse
13: Re: .LRN and Second Life (response to 1)
Posted by Matthew Burke on
I see on the conference program that there was a BoF on .LRN and Second Life. I'd appreciate it if someone could point me to a summary of what was discussed.

And I'd like to hear from anyone who has pursued any activities along these lines. I've been thinking about this issue in relation to a MacArthur Foundation grant that I might apply for.

Thanks,

Matt