Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: inittab and daemontools in Intsall Documentation

Collapse
Posted by Lamar Owen on
IMHO, the 'Reference Platform' should use the simplest approach.  As this is admitted to being inttab, it would seem the 'Reference Platform' should utilize that approach.

While inittab isn't nearly as flexible as daemontools, it is one less complication for an installation that is already complicated.  Joel, you've done an excellent job documenting things; I'm just of the opinion that someone new to OpenACS is going to be overwhelmed with all the extras involved in installation of daemontools.  To go a step further, an initscript setup might be the best newbie approach, even though that is the least desireable from a reliability standpoint.

Once a body gets better at it, they may very well decide to use the more powerful daemontools approach; but is that approach best for a novice?

I personally don't care what the docs say, for my purposes.  But as RPM maintainer for PostgreSQL, I get newbies' questions all the time -- some can't figure out why a major upgrade of PostgreSQL can't be automatic, for instance.  The simpler the docs: the simpler the Reference Platform -- the fewer 'newbie error' questions we'll get.  YMMV.