Forum .LRN Q&A: .LRN t-shirts coming to a post office near you

I am thinking of ordering a bunch of .LRN t-shirts if there is enough interest in the community. My idea is to get black t-shirts with the .LRN logo over the chest on the front, and the heading "Copenhagen Seminar 2003" followed by a list of all  (or most) of the participating institutions on the back. The text would be in white or some other bright color.

I'm not sure yet what the final price will be but it should be less than 10 Euros each.

If the institutions (MIT, Heidelberg, etc.) would group together and say how many t-shirts they would be interested in and what sizes, that would be helpful.

Thanks!

Collapse
Posted by Torben Brosten on
Can you order one or two even if you didn't make it to the .LRN conference?

If so, what are the order details you need (besides size), and where should I fax them to?

Collapse
Posted by Peter Marklund on
Torben,
yes, of course you can order even if you weren't at the social!  At this point I am merely trying to get an idea of how many t-shirts to order as this will influence the price.

Once I have an idea of how many t-shirts I can safely buy I'll get all the details about the shirts etc. We have a contact here in the office so I think we might get a decent deal.

Collapse
Posted by Randy Ferrer on
I would like to get 3 if at all possible. Will you be able to ship to the US?
Collapse
Posted by Simon Carstensen on
Count me in!

Now... Can I have a photo of the beer included on the back of the shirt?

http://www.michaelhinds.net/static/copenhagen/big/DCP01620.html

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
T-shirts would be great, Peter, and they're not that hard to do, I've done them many times for conservation organizations.

One comment - use a quality t-shirt.  Here in the US the standard for years has been the Haines 100% pre-shrunk cotton Beefy-T ... they're more comfortable and tend to last longer than man-made fabrics or 50% blends.  Don't know what the equivalent would be in Europe, though, but I'd rather spend an extra buck on a quality T rather than scrimp on quality.

Collapse
Posted by Jarkko Laine on
This is very cool. I could order 2 with Seminar text and 3 w/o if there will be two models. If not, then all five of the same sort.

I'm of the same opinion as Don. There's shirts and there's shirts. I still have nightmares of a Garfield t-shirt I once bought from Turkey that felt like I had put spikes into my skin 😊

Collapse
Posted by Alfred Essa on
Peter,

Count us in for 100 t-shirts. We will pay for those who attended. Thanks for doing this...

Al

Collapse
Al,
thanks a bunch for that bulk order! 😊 Here is the current order status (yes Lars, I signed you up too...):

Jarkko 2 with, 3 without
Carl 4 with, 6 without
Roberto 2 without
Torben 2 (with or without?)
Randy Ferrer 3 (with or without)
Simon 1 with
Al Essa 100 (with or without back?)
Peter 1 with, 1 without
Lars 1 with, 1 without

Total: 125 (if my counting serves me right)

We are getting the highest quality t-shirt in black and it looks like the price will be roughly 8 Euros. How to best ship the t-shirts and how much this will cost I haven't looked into yet.

Can everybody indicate if they want the Copenhagen 2003 Seminar with this institution listing on the back or not please.

Thanks!

Collapse
Hi Peter,

Those 2 are "with"... actually, make that 3.

Collapse
Posted by Jarkko Laine on
Put us in, please.

I was visiting the department a few days ago and it looks quite good at the moment 😊

Collapse
One more little detail...maybe you could all indicate to me via email what kind of sizes (ranging from small to XL) that you are looking for.

Thanks!

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Hi Peter,

how big do you envision the logo on the chest. Like normally small in the left side, or stretching across the whole front?

Collapse
Malte,
I was envisioning the official .LRN logo, fairly big, centered over the chest.

Design ideas are welcome.

Collapse
Personally I'd envision the .LRN logo small to normal on the left side of the chest and a bigger thing on the back, with or without the institutions. I'm personally not a fan of having a lot of stuff labeled in the front of my T-Shirts.
Collapse
Posted by Venkatesh Goteti on
1. If anyone of you have a neat EPS file of the dotLRN logo, could you post a link from where I could download the logo. I can then make up a few screenshots of possible T-shirt images and you guys can have a look at what is suitable.
2. Just a logo makes little sense. Do we have a slogan or visual/graphic (Copenhagan > Mermaid??) Should it be plan and boring (like the ole' aD khaki caps)? Ideal (read typical) would be a signature-logo on the left chest, and graphic/list et al on the back.
Collapse
Venkatesh, thanks so much for the offer to help with the design, we could sure use that! You'll find the official .LRN logo in EPS format here:

https://openacs.org/storage/?folder_id=96096

Collapse
Posted by Effendy Zainuddin on
Please keep us inform,we would like to order 10 when it's available.

Regards
Fendi

Collapse
Posted by Venkatesh Goteti on
Sorry for the long pause. Do look at two T-shirt/logo variations uploaded at http://www.sussdorff-roy.com/resources/dotlrn_tshirt.htm
Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
I prefer the shirt with the smaller logo on front. Do you have any idea what would be on the back of such a shirt?
Collapse
The orignal description by Peter calls for "black t-shirts with the .LRN logo over the chest on the front, and the heading "Copenhagen Seminar 2003" followed by a list of all  (or most) of the participating institutions on the back. "

I prefer large glow-in-dark letters on the front with some reference (reverence?) to "København" Conference also, but will accept the smaller letters adjusted to a side as suggested --since the idea is partly to promote dotLRN in a wide range of environments.

I'd like to see a backside option that more closely fits the original description --sort of like a rock concert t-shirt that shows venues.

Collapse
I prefer the small logo with the venue and the list of participating Organisations on the back like Peter and Torben suggest. Though I would not mind getting the back of option A as well :).
Collapse
Thanks Venkatesh for those previews! I think it's best if we use the official .LRN logo that you'll find in the file storage.

I was keen on the rock-concert style university listing on the back, but I might abandon this idea just to simplify things. Also, I can't really promise that I'll get around to following through with this little project in the coming weeks. Anybody else who is eager to see these t-shirts becoming reality shouldn't wait for me but feel free to make it happen on own initiative. Just drop me a note if you do.

Collapse
Posted by Randy Ferrer on
Whatever happened with this? Did the T-shirts ever get made?
Collapse
Here's a couple of eps files to help move things along[1]. They basically setup a front and back as my team understands the specifications.

Notes:

We added the dotLRN.org url to the front, below the official logo for reference.

The list of the institutions on the back come from Collaboraid's website[2] and are listed in no particular order.

The lrnshirtfrontside.eps file uses a bitmap of the official dotLRN eps file mentioned earlier in the thread as we couldn't edit the file directly.

No attempt was made to show the entire shirt --only a template of the portion to be processed (silkscreened?).

The lrnshirt*.eps files were created on a mac, and just now viewing them, I see that the "foreign" characters aren't showing right in ghostview. =(

1 http://www.dekka.net/openacs/
2 http://www.collaboraid.biz/events/copenhagen-2003/dotlrn-seminar.pdf

cheers,

Torben

Collapse
ps. The institutions are grouped by countries in the spirit of emphasizing i18n/localization features.