Forum OpenACS Q&A: Re: Bootstrapping OpenACS governance

Collapse
Posted by Lamar Owen on
This sounds very reasonable.  I particularly like the transparency; that is, the fact that core's decisions and discussions are 'public'.  There are a few things that must be handled privately; for this, I would not be opposed to a separate private area/list/etc that core can use for those sorts of things (like the PostgreSQL core (that is, the 'Steering Committee' -- which still uses the name 'core' after all these years) has the pgsql-core closed list for disciplinary discussions (developer out of line, etc)).  There are discussions that really need to be private.  But there are discussions that sometimes happen in private that should have been public.

The PostgreSQL core does this; virtually all discussion, even amongst core members, happens on the pgsql-hackers mailing list.  It is archived and searchable.

And if Joel wants to be secretary, let him at it...every team needs a good nag 😊.

However, formal weekly meetings may or may not be the best idea.  I personally like the PostgreSQL style best; yet I understand that it's not the best fit for all people.  That style is very much a spontaneous style, with decisions happening at all hours.  But then again, the PostgreSQL community is global in scope, with people in many varied timezones (but that also describes the OpenACS community, no?).  Asynchronous meetings are a good fit for such a widespread community, and mailing lists or web forums are two ways of making such a meeting happen.  IRC and other chat systems are far too synchronous for this sort of thing.  But that's just my opinion, YMMV.