Forum .LRN Q&A: Future direction of dotLRN (product management)

I would like to initiate a discussion on future dotlrn releases.

On the one hand, we need to deprecate some:

- homework vs. vienna homework
- curriculum
- syllabus

We need to compare similar packages:

- evaluation vs. vienna gradebook
- wimpypoint, edit-this-page, webblogger vs. xowiki

Also maybe dotLRN should come out of the box supporting

- SCORM
- IMS QTI
- IMS LD

but in a repository kind of pattern like lors-central where there is a central repository and the items are referenced in communities.

dotLRN needs to move from departments, subjects, classes and communities to a dotlrn-catalog kind of structure where we only have communities that are linked to categories with the option to manage categories and communities either within dotLRN or by integrating with an external system maybe via webservices and IMS Enterprise.

For this communities should move towards subsites. This would also allow providing each site with its own web pages (wiki). This would help departments to use dotLRN as the central learning and content management system.

Give this structure it would be a question of customization to provide a system called dotLRN for educational institutions and dotWork for companies with different standard modules mounted automatically for each subsite.

Just a vision :)

Hi,

Thanks Nima for opening this discussion.

About SCORM, IMS QTI and IMS LD.

The actual situation is:

- SCORM 1.2: LORS* packages. Innova Group at UNED has done a port to Oracle (done from an oacs-5-2 version), except lors-central. There's problem with the RTE (SCORM sessions are not correctly recorded).

- IMS-QTI 1.2.1: supported by the assessment packages which provides oracle support and are part of .LRN default installation.

- IMS-LD: a new version has been announced last week. So far, It's not part of .LRN. imsld packages do not support oracle.

See https://openacs.org/xowiki/Educational_Standards for more info.

As discussed in Vienna, we can start working on the following:

- Fix LORS and merge Oracle port
- Include IMS-LD in .LRN

I forgot to ask:

Where can I find the Vienna homework and gradebook packages? I've looked for them in the repository but was unable to find them.