Forum OpenACS Q&A: Internationalization

Collapse
Posted by Vamshi Krishna Kaniganti on
hi

can anybody help me out regarding the internationalization if any documentation how to install it in 4.6.2
thanks in advance
cheers
vamshi

Collapse
2: Re: Internationalization (response to 1)
Posted by Jarkko Laine on
Vamshi,

Internationalization is not part of OpenACS 4.6.2 (nor any later 4.6.x). If you need it, you'll have to work on CVS Head or wait for the 5.0 to come out.

Collapse
3: Re: Internationalization (response to 2)
hi jarkko laine

could please help me out how to do Globalization i have read the document of acs-lang put could not get it properly how to implement it
i would be great help for me
thanking you
cheers
vamshi

Collapse
4: Re: Internationalization (response to 1)
If you do a CVS checkout on Head, you'll get the acs-lang package. Then you'll still have to install it using the APM ("/acs-admin/apm" on your server), if it's not already installed.

I'm not totally sure what you're not able to accomplish: getting the acs-lang package installed or having some other package i18n:ized. Could you tell us exactly what you have done and where did you get into trouble?

Note that only packages that are used in dotLRN are generally internationalized (+lars-blogger afaik) so having acs-lang installed only gives you means to internationalize a package if it's not done yet. I think you should definitely start by reading the docs found in http://www.collaboraid.biz/extranet/i18n/ . Please remember that i18n is still a work-in-progress.

Collapse
5: Re: Internationalization (response to 4)
hi jarkko laine

i have succesfully installed the package of acs-lang which came with the OpenACS4.6.2, i want to know how it works with the other packages, i have read the requirement documentaion and the desing documentaion, but not able to get the required out put like
this i have written in an foo.adp file how does my output come

<master>
<trn key=username_prompt>Please enter your username</tr>
<input type=text name=username>
<p>
<trn key=password_prompt>Enter Password:</trn>
<input type=password name=passwd>

what should i write an foo.fr.adp if i want to write and the remainnig things in the tcl file also.

if possible can u please give me simple example how does the globalization works,

it would be helpfull to me in understanding the concept.
thanks for ur reply
cheers
vamshi

Collapse
7: Re: Internationalization (response to 1)
Posted by Peter Marklund on
Vamshi,
you cannot use 4.6.2 for internationalization. You must checkout from cvs head instead. Follow the "For Experienced Developers" instructions on this page:

https://openacs.org/4/checkout

Collapse
6: Re: Internationalization (response to 1)
Vamshi,

Using different files for different languages doesn't work yet. All you can do is to internationalize a package, which means that you edit your package's adp files (not templates) like you have demonstrated and then run them through acs-lang's interface. That brings all the phrases you have marked to db and makes them so called keys. Please check the Package Developer's Guide to Internationalization found from http://www.collaboraid.biz/extranet/i18n/documentation .

Then you can either turn the translator mode on (in /acs-lang/admin) or bulk translate the individual keys. I'd recommend using first the tr. mode, since it gives you the possibility to see the phrases in real context. However, you should probably check also the bulk translate interface, since there you can see if you have some translations left to do.

But please remember, that you do need to work on Head (as Peter says above) and that the current i18n work has been targeted to translating the packages' interfaces, not the actual content. The latter will be addressed, too, but it's still under development.

Collapse
8: Re: Internationalization (response to 6)
hi every body

i had got the acs-lang from the cvs check out and installed it, i would proceed with the Jarkko give url for the example , if any problem i would face i would report it again
thanks for the help.

cheers
vamshi

Collapse
9: Re: Internationalization (response to 6)
hi jarkko

there is a problem with the given url
http://www.collaboraid.biz/extranet/i18n/documentation .

Documentation
By Lars Pind On September 28, 2002.

There are going to be 3 documents, of which only the first is actively under development at this point.

You need to log in as mailto:peter@collaboraid.biz, password 1, to read these documents.

* Package Developer's Guide to Internationalization
    * Requirements Document
    * Design Document

when i am entering with the user name stated above and the password it is saying bad password, would you suggest me if there is another link.
thanks for the help
cheers
vamshi

Collapse
10: Re: Internationalization (response to 1)
Posted by Lars Pind on
Links have been fixed.