I am attempting to upgrade aufrecht.org to 5.0. My steps are as follows (with dead ends omitted):
1) Inspect the live system by going to /acs-admin/apm, and discover that the kernel is 4.6.1.
2) Make a copy of the live database (postgresql), which is PostGreSQL 7.2
3) On a development machine, run pg_7.2to7.3_upgrade_helper.pl on the dmp file.
4) Restore the dmp file to a PostGreSQL 7.3.4 database.
5) Download the OpenACS 4.6.3 tarball and unpack it
6) tweak the config.tcl file to have correct values
7) Start aolserver using the 4.6.3 tarball as the homedir and the restored database as the db
8) Go to the APM and click Install
9) Select only the kernel for Upgrade. Select both
10) Failed to install ACS Kernel, version 4.6.3. The following error was generated:
Database operation "0or1row" failed (exception NSDB, "Query was not a statement returning rows.") ERROR: pg_atoi: zero-length string SQL: select apm_package_version__new( NULL, 'acs-kernel', '4.6.3', 'http://openacs.org/repository/download/apm/acs-kernel-4.6.3.apm
', 'Routines and data models providing the foundation for OpenACS-based Web services.', NULL, NULL, '2002-10-27', 'OpenACS', 'http://openacs.org/
', 't', 't' );