Forum .LRN Q&A: Forums Review by the UAB

Collapse
Posted by Tracy Adams on
The UAB reviewed the forums and produced documentation/recommendations for user improvements. This was referred to at the conference:
Collapse
Posted by Deirdre Kane on
On the Matrix slide, the Implementation difficulty for each item is an appproximation made by the UAB members, but we would like those who are more technically adept to provide feedback about where each item falls along the difficulty spectrum.

The Value Added axis allows everyone else to see where we feel we will get the biggest "bang for the buck" for users.

Collapse
Posted by Talli Somekh on
Please post these as something other than or in addition to Microsoft Word documents.

talli

Collapse
What would you like me to post them as that would be more useful to you?
Collapse
HTML
PDF
Text
RTF

etc

talli

Collapse
I have them in PDF form, but do not see a way to upload them to file storage.  Tracy, shall I email them to you?

As another qualifying note, the UAB is well aware that these are rudimentary documents; that if and when any of this work is to be done, there will be a need to flesh out the required specifications; and that when that time comes, each UAB member is prepared to work with the developers to elaborate and clarify on each item.

(UAB document converted from word)

UAB Forums Enhancements Recommendations April 2004

For Admins:
---------------------------
1) MOVE functionality (Martin’s)
2) Ratings: a star system so that one could rate a thread as helpful or not and sort accordingly.

For All Users:
---------------------------
3) Threading layout/Display choices: expand/collapse sub-headers and bodies on demand

Ex: On SSV1, admin had three display options:
1) expand tree in summarized form;
2) expand and show message bodies and
3) expand one level. Additionally, the user could customize the display.
4) Clean Print feature: small type printing without indentations, a simple header for each contributor and none of the navigation links
5) Sophisticated Sorting: listing of threads that sorts by author, date, topic and a way of making one’s favorites and sorting accordingly.
6) Thread Topic Type/Protocol: Integrated into the context-dependent help, whereby the one starting the thread might define where he or she would like to go and so help people determine the nature and form or protocols of their contributions, such as: discover, debate, problem-solving, organizing an action. Here I am imagining wizards or drop down menus that ask "where do you want to go with this?", a link to discussions of especially profitable forums, and a wiki functionality such that users could develop a meta-commentary. The long-range plan here is to make a system that learns from its users and which organizes that learning in the manner of developing "lms literacy".
7) Meta-commentary feature for didactic purposes: the thread’s author or other user can comment on what they are reading, similar to the protocol feature above except that the first might serve as a template function and a meta-commentary serves a more didactic function.
8) Flagging as new: indication of what posts have been read/not read for each user per login session OR new since last login.
9) Text Entry improvements: user specified line breaks and system provided line wrapping must work transparently together; typing a long string of text or pasting it that is intended to be line wrapped stays line wrapped; pasting a prepared text preserving line breaks, including quotations without being forced to do line breaks manually, and including long URLs without getting the thread indentation spoilt; characters that look like html magic characters without being censored or causing trouble.; a spellchecker
10) Understandability/Window Pane arrangement: improve the UI so that the forums overview page including its layout, terminology and ergonomy makes sense and is more intuitive to users. For example, create a narrow reading pane and put the navigation/breadcrumb pane trail in the left pane (we have examples of this to show).
11) Improved Alerts: flexible and dynamic notification intervals, frequency of time of day, deep linking to the distinct posting, indication of attachments, breadcrumb tagging and sorting of bulk alerts.
Collapse
Posted by xx xx on
Thanks Thalli, you added another point to usability issues. Viewing and uploading of common document types should never be a problem.

Now asking a hacker to post the document in another format is cool, but asking users to do that is not, IMO. My guess is that common users don't know about formats. "Text only" could mean a Word tekstdocument.

Criticism of the UAB on the Forums package is clear, so I suggest we don't complain about MS Office formats anymore?

Collapse
"Users" is a context sensitive term. This is an open source community where people avoid, opportunisitically if not hostilly, Microsoft tools and formats.

When I work with clients, I also waste breathe telling developers to convert their docs from OpenOffice to PDF because an average user should not be expected to download OpenOffice when that is their normal application.

In this community, the default application is certainly not Word, and I would say it's not even OpenOffice. There are many formats out there that offer plenty of cross platform functionality as well as being very readable and useable.

So there is irony to a "User Advisory Board" that is insensitive to the open source developer community they are trying to communicate with. Not terribly surprising and not a horrible crime, but certainly not something that should be left alone.

The feature potential in a switch to convert any doc to PDF, say, is a very strong, though.

talli

Collapse
Talli,

I am sorry to offend you or anyone else in the community and  I resent your implication that the UAB is insensitive, but I'm sure you didn't intend to be hurtful with your comments.  We are working very hard to integrate ourselves into this community in useful and constructive ways.  We are absolutely, positively not interested in causing any divisions within the community over small things like what wordprocessing software people use to get through their workdays.  Certainly this public flogging is a lesson for us all.  From now on, I and the UAB will be sure to 1) post things in PDF or 2) post the entire text of all docs within a posting (thank you, Carl).  The UAB was eager to get our "report" out there in time for Heidelberg and I sent Tracy the documents in Microsoft formats - without thinking, of course.  Whether I like it or not, Microsoft Office is the MIT/Sloan supported software, so that is what I use.  Interestingly enough, as a member of this community, I have never seen a posting of rules and requirements that states that I cannot use Microsoft products; I guess it's one of those unspoken rules no one told me about.

Mea culpa, but today is a new day.
DeeDee

Collapse
Posted by Don Baccus on
It's not so much a matter of rules or regulations, but rather that many of us don't have Office or OpenOffice installed and can't read the documents.  Quite a few of us run Mac OS X and running OpenOffice, for instance, isn't quite as convenient as on Linux.  And I personally have no need nor desire to buy MS Office so those wanting to get my attention, at least, should post in something I can more easily read.
Collapse
Posted by Tracy Adams on
Hey guys,

Be nice to the UAB.

It was actually me that posted the document without converting it first.

Sorry!

Collapse
Posted by Bruce Spear on
One little question: how difficult is it to convert Word to html, even if crude?  I'm wondering as I have lots of users who don't read or follow my simply always wonderful, ever-friendly advice, and there are lots of users here from the Baccus Tribe :) who are Microsofically-challenged and find .doc files a bitter pill to swallow.  Would it be difficult to build an upload feature that would read the file type, if .doc pop up a window inviting users to allow automatic conversion to .rtf or .hrml, and so raising the question and providing a solution?  Just wondering.
Collapse
Bruce, it's pretty easy to just to a "Save As..." and convert the doc to HTML, RTF, text or even PDF (i think the latest version of MS offer PDF translation.)

It might not be so hard to do it server side, but even easier to do it client side.

talli

Collapse
Posted by Bruce Spear on
HI!

Thanks, I fully agree, and for users who are paying attention this is what they do.  But not all of my users pay attention, for those who are technologically-challenged this is asking a bit much, and we have others who, as soon as you would give them instruction, say "we shouldn't have to do this".  I look forward to the day, Talli, when I can buy you a drink so we might evaluate the moral psychology of our users in colorful terms.  Until then, I treat every obstacle as "good poopoo" and an opportunity to explore a fix.  I leave it up to the developers to decide if, when, and where they might put these fixes into effect.  So let's move the question forward: if it is feasible, which is what I'm hoping to find out in this forum, I'll write up a bug report and so toss it into the hopper.  Now what does this sound like?

Collapse
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Bruce,

I set up automatic word->html conversion for a client, and I am working on a way to make a more general conversion utility for other formats as well.

Collapse
Posted by Bruce Spear on
Cool!  You make a wish, click your heels in the ruby slippers, and ...!
Collapse
Ah, Bruce you were talking about functionality in general and I was talking about seeing the UAB's forums docs posted in PDF, HTML or RTF (which I'm still waiting for...)

talli

Collapse
Posted by Tracy Adams on
Carl posted the forum doc last week (he just cut and pasted the text). It is in pdf here as well. The matrix is here.
Collapse
Posted by Bruce Spear on
As ever, we are learning as we go along, and now we are thinking that the way to go would be for us to review our first use cases and develop them in more detail.  I also think it might be helpful if others were interested in helping us with their own use cases -- short, maybe a paragraph to start.  Also, might anyone have experience with this and be willing to offer some advice on how best to proceed?  Thanks!

Bruce

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
Bruce, Use cases and existing examples in other forum software would be great here. In particular 6 and 7 are sort of lost on me when it comes to concrete implementations (and to be honest 7 is lost on me entirely although guess it would help if I knew what didactic meant :) )

Is 6 to facilitate structured converstions (like Winograd's "Conversations for Action" model) or simply a navigational aid?

It would be nice if there were some peoples names attached to the specific things which probably need some iterations to get right (esp 3,6,7, and 10).

I think in what I have been working on for communities of practice I will at least touch on 2,4,5, and 11; and it would be useful to be able to get some feedback if what I have done suitably addresses some of those issues.

Collapse
Posted by Matthias Melcher on
Jeff,

thank you very much for starting with concrete details. Although I don't know yet how this discussion may be done best, I don't want to waste time and tell you want I think important about #3 and #10 (not speaking for the UAB here).

For #3, I would be happy to have SOME way to expand and collapse individual postings and subtrees, perhaps with a "+" and "-" toggle similar to windows explorer (sorry, or in Mozilla preferences menu). The most important reason is that, for instance, within the use case of humanities discussions, threads simply become too long to keep orientation within the thread.

For #10, the idea is to allow users to read much text in a narrow pane without being forced to adjust the window width each time they leave a page with wider content (e. g. navigation) and enter a text intensive page. (Narrow reading panes might irritate programmers but are important for text-intensive work, and newspaper columns are therefore narrow since many decades). At the same time, the saved space could be used for breadcrumb navigation in a left-hand side pane instad of wasting space in the top for the breadcrumbs.

Regarding #2, #6, #7, I do think they touch your communities of practice work and I would like to learn more about it.

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Hi folks

A short comment on the text width issue. Couldn't this be solved by adding a parameter setting to the module? I mean, weblogger offers a choice to select the number of characters to be displayed and than breaks up the default topic with hyperlink to the full story. That function could be used define the width of the text by changing the definition. (so not CSS related);

"set collum width" or number of characters that identify the text width. from an enduser perspective. It would be a great advantage if users would have access to that function from their "workspace panel".

Hope this is clear.

Cheers

Collapse
Posted by Ben Koot on
Googling on this subject I found this site http://www.notestips.com/80256B3A007F2692/1/TAIO-5TT34F

Making your readers feel comfortable is a major factor in making a web site sticky, web designers are starting to adopt these usability findings. For designers the recommended ideal line length is around 30em or 450pixels and because we cannot rely on CSS properties of min-width and max-width, the best way to achieve readability is to fix the width of the design. A study of some of the most popular web design sites out there bears this out.

Cheers

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
As a starting point for tracking down some concrete examples I looked at some of the popular forums packages (and news reader things).

Here are some examples of framed browsers for long threads: google and gmane. Gmane is nice since it tracks what you have read, and has a collection of well chosen key shortcuts, but it does not let you collapse threads at all.

I think we could take a google style sidebar nav (which is pretty easy to implement) and use Morten's tree menu to construct a collapsable tree menu (the code is BSD licensed so could be included in OpenACS).

For reference here is what UBB looks like Flat and UBB threaded

And phpBB One thread and One forum The support forum for phpBB has something like 100,000 threads and 500k posts which gives you an idea of how many users of phpBB there are. Sticky threads stay at the top of the front page and announcements are present on all thread pages. The user profile pages are good and presenting post count is useful I think. Another thing to take away from phpBB is how nice some of the themes are.

And in the make your head explode category: ezboard. ezboard has a tremendous number of forums with giant numbers of posts, and there are some useful ideas there, although obviously it's not really intended to support serious persistent threaded discussions.

One of the best things to look at is kuro5hin (sort of slashdot.org but with generally higher quality discussions). posts are rated, can be presented threaded or flat, they distinguish editorial versus topical posts (although to be honest people mostly don't classify them properly).

If you set Display: "dynamic, threaded", you can see the expandable and collapsable threads. I think this might be the closest to what you are talking about for #3.

Collapse
Posted by Bruce Spear on
Jeff!  Thanks so much for the links!  I can't wait to check them out!  Bruce
Collapse
Posted by Bruce Spear on
Jeff: Those links are a gold mine!  I especially like the Google example for its simplicity, ease of navigation, and as it allows you both to see the entries on one page and, by clicking the tree, skip to particular entries.  The UBB example has the additional merit of allowing for a brief summary of the thread topic, and I think this display to be especially suited to academic purposes where instructors and others are addressing particular topics.  There is much food for thought here!  Thanks a lot!

All the best,

Bruce

Collapse
Thank you, Jeff.
Although I could not look into kuro5hin, "dynamic, threaded", sounds fine.

You asked me "Are any of the discussions from Dorothea's course online somewhere  that I could look at to get a feel for how deep the nesting is and how long the posts are typically?"

I put an anonymized thread up her http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~x28/911/ .

Collapse
Posted by Bruce Spear on
Thanks, Matthias, for the diagrams, and when viewing the example where the text had been replaces with garbage characters I was struck with how important it was to be able to read the text to see how the forum was actually being used: that it might indeed matter whether the forum is being used for problem-solving, exploration, debating opinion, etc.  For problem-solving, I might want to be able to skim rapidly to get to the "fix", like I often do with the OpenACS bug reports.  For Exploratory forums, I might want to be able to see how the instructor is guiding the discussion, how she is "composting" or turning the pile, so I might know better how to respond.  For debating, I might want to be able to follow the development of two or three positions both by themselves and as they interact.

I'm wondering if you might now review the use cases we've developed for the various features we've assembled on our matic, maybe with reference to the features found on the sites Jeff has kindly offered us, and so evaluate which combinations might best suit our use cases?

Collapse
I would identify these three main use cases:

A: Very basic functionality, for people who were comfortable with the communication provided by simple listserv lists for the last two decades, and who are ready to take advantage of forums software to take this business out of the (overcrowded) inbox.

D: use for intensive, long, structured discussions, for instance, in the humanities (Dorothea's, see link above). Subcases might be Bruce's ones above, Exploratory or Debating (Problem solving, IMO, is rather "A" obove or "X" below.)

X: Usage where users are trying to extend forum functionality into a direction that might be better accomodated by other types of communcation channels but (for some reason) they don't want to (or may not) adopt these. Examples/subcases include

- users who like to retain their inbox workflow as they did in listserv times

- users who think of more advanced social networking features / communities of practice but do not have blogs, wikis, and the like available yet. (The next use case where all these communication channels coexist and forums plays a very distinct optimized role, is IMO not yet realistic). See #2, #6, #7.

I think we should not waste too much time with trying to conduct serious use case analyses for the forums, because we are not (yet) at the stage of fine-tuning and adjusting to sophisticated special audiences but rather try to accomodate basic usability requirements.

Targeting to single audiences, here, will mainly involve the pre-setting of reasonable defaults. For instance, the default value for expand and collapse could perhaps be "collapsed" for use  case D while beng "expanded" for others.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
You hit rock buttom to one of the most asked for features. Reply to forum postings. Forums should be able to replace simple listserv mailing-lists. And it should actually work and be documented how to get it to work.

Regarding use cases, it is necessary to be *aware* of multiple uses for the design of the software, but they do not have to be fully fleshed out.

Last but not least. Do not reinvent the wheel over and over again. Jeff posted links to the state of the art. Mimic it. This should take care of the usability that concerns most of the users.

If you want to get serious about Forums, then take a look at the forum developed for the StudIP plattform.
http://www.goettingen.studip.de/forum.php?&flatviewstartposting=0#anker

The forum package (on it's own) has been the topic of a PhD thesis from a sociologist and has a ton of features that make the forum useful even in a very complex discussion. I'd change some of the things, but if you want to extend forums beyond a basic approach, seriously take a look at it.

Summary of key extensions (which I found really neat):

- Collapsable Rating and Poster information
- In posting quotes (the quote appears in a seperate box within the posting).
- Relevance calculation (based on views, rating, links)
- Indicator in the front of each posting (esp. in collapsed view), for immediate color coded scanning of relevance, rating or new postings.

I would like to note which of these features I consider absolutely essential for discussion-oriented teaching situation like my own:

1, 3, 5, 8, 9 and 7(perhaps)

The rest of the points I would consider secondary to those above and they could be put on hold until the points above have been implemented.

Collapse
Posted by Dorothea Fischer-Hornung on
Thanks, Jeff. I went thorough all your links. For me gmane was easiest to use, but I may just be a habit of using panes in the top/bottom format. But I also thought that having the name of the threads plus the subheaders clearly listed in text more accessible to me. The left navigation and the tree on google do the same thing, but looks very "techie" for a non-techie user like me.

The PhpBB has always been a favorite for me since there are so many things you can choose to do with it. It seems clean, well-structured and very user friendly.

I have no idea where this gets us, but this is this user’s opinion.

Collapse
Wow, Matthias, What a great analysis of three days of work! If you were to compare my two sections of this course (about 13-15 in each section) you would see that it has exploded exponentially in just a few days.

The two sections have dealt with the forum very differently. I had given both sections clear instructions to post ALL their contributions under the Week 1 header. One section complied very well, which lead to a VERY long thread of contributions. The other section has many individual headers: either they can't read and follow instructions or they instinctively tried to create a personal section structure. The result is very confusing since there is no way to relate contributions for one thread to another and there is no way for me as a teacher to move things to try to do some didactic "housekeeping."

Your contribution showed me how very complex our forum structure is (after only 3 days!) and why I feel the need so strongly for a better tool. Thanks for visualizing this for all of us.

Collapse
Can't get into the studlP platform. Asks for a user log in.
Collapse
The current structure of this forum is a very good example of the problem of not linking responses to given postings. I have come into the discussion quite late and therefore all of my contributions are at the end of the thread although some of my comments refer to postings quite early in the thread.

The longer this thread becomes, the more problematical this will become. Matthias can do a wonderful visualization of our own UAB forum structure that will be just as destructive to rational discussion as the present .lrn forum.

Collapse
Posted by Jeff Davis on
On #5 (advanced sorting), it says "and a way of making one’s favorites and sorting accordingly."

Does that mean marking people as favorites and sorting by threads in which they have participated or marking threads as favorites?

Dorothea, are you aware of a phpBB site which does some of the different threading views (#3) that I could look at?

Collapse
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
Dorothea, make sure to look at the comment threading on stories on kuro5hin (that Jeff mentioned above).

The start of a thread:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/comments/2004/4/30/161255/403/80#80

There are little drop downs that allow the users to sort as they wish.

Pick "dynamic threaded" or "dynamic minimal".

Collapse
Posted by Bruce Spear on
I've been wondering about this sorting business.  I'd assume it would be easy and generally useful to be able to sort by date, author, and topic, but the weak point of this idea is "generally", since sorting is something we do all the time anyway without thinking.  The criteria I'd want to ponder is "relevance", and since I think in terms of the academic quarter, I think of a limited number of threads per class and that these stay in the meaningful sequence of the course/syllabus: for these purposes, we're not talking about a lot of forum postings like we have on our Dotlrn Q&A forum.  I know there are other users besides classroom, but rather than a "general" solution that might please nobody, I'd rather two or more specific solutions that you could choose to fit specific purposes.  Hence, I am concentration on the academic seminar and lecture as I know it best and think it the primary forum format for my university circles.  As an instructor, I'd like to sort by student as I think we may do well to head in the direction of the academic portfolio and a review of a student's forum postings I would want to see associated with his homework assignments, survey answers, and so collate her work, and having announced that I would do this, encourage participation in a number of formats. From a marketing and, say, attracting instructors, instead of saying we can sort the thing a dozen ways like a rubix cube that fascinates the engineer who sees the beauty in all logical possibilities, I'd rather say we can switch forum features to highlight the stages in project development, or the stages or sequences of a given student's commentaries, or a list of all forum entries containing a url students have found to fulfill an assignment and expressed in a table so we could easily collate them as a portal on this topic.  That is, I'd recommend that designers conduct interviews and observations of classroom activities, compile lists of specific needs that might be served, and build components such as forums that can be switched from one precise use to another rather than including all and so leveling the precision of each.  How about that?
Collapse
Dorothea and I are working with the UAB on a
specification for forums improvements. To enable
timely participation in the discussion, we put
up a very early draft here
  http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~x28/fspec/
Collapse
Posted by Lars Pind on
Dear Matthias, Dorothea, and UAB

Thank you very much for the detailed specification.

We on our end had a meeting on Tuesday night to gather all the information for working on a forums specification. That gave rise to a number of questions and clarifications, which I'd much appreciate if you could respond to before Sunday, when our next work session on this will be.

I've read the above specification, and only posted questions that weren't already answered by that one.

Here we go ... apologies if any of them are stupid.

- Re 3, expand/collapse: Your oroginal "Recommendations" doc says "the user could customize the display". Does this simply mean that the user can click expand/collapse posts/subthreads, or can the user chose some other configuration settings that would apply to all threads? Would they apply to all forums as well, or be a per-forum option? What would those customizations be?

- Re 9, text input: Have you looked at the htmlArea WYSIWYG editor already in OpenACS 5.1? Text input is a tricky problem, as you are essentially providing a means for translating plaintext into HTML, since the rendered version will always be in HTML. I cannot completely follow the specification on this.

What I would suggest is that, if possible, you point to an existing system that does text input and conversion to HTML correctly the way you would want it. And whether or not that's possible, you provide a set of examples, test cases if you will, of text input and corresponding rendered HTML, so that we can properly understand all the implications, and have test cases that we can use to verify the implementation when done.

Another use case to consider is when users reply to a posting via email. Most email clients will automatically break lines at some fixed width, which currently gets posted as hard line breaks where what is really intended is a running paragraph. When this is rendered into HTML, what you see is either lines that are shorter than those in the other postings, or when the display area is more narrow than the line width used in the email, you get the zig-zagged line breaks. A couple of examples to illustrate:

This is an email
where the line
width is shorter
than the display
pane.

This would be an
email
where the display
pane
is more narrow than
the
line width used in
the
email.

Even more troublesome is the situation where the email contains quotes using the ">" symbol. I'm not saying we need to deal with this, that would be your judgment call as the UAB, but it's something to keep in mind.

To me, this is issue ought to be classified in the "Difficult" category on the matrix, not in "Easy".

- Re 5, "Sohpisticated sorting": The original "Recommendations" doc says "a way of making one's favorites and sorting accordingly". We (as well as Jeff above) are not sure what those favorites are. Is it favorite authors? Favorite threads? Posts? Then sort so threads where your favorite authors have posted are on top? Or does it refer to a favorite sort order, so the system will remember how you last sorted this list?

Another possibility to consider: Google's new Gmail service has a mechanism where you can tag emails/conversations with a "star", which makes that email/conversation show up in a special, automatic "Starred" folder. This would be a very efficient and convenient way to save a thread for later, e.g. I could have this thread starred while I'm working on the project. Google's implementation is very slick as well, since setting/removing the 'star' flag is handled transparently in the background, so you don't need to wait for a round-trip to the server, and you don't loose your position on the page.

- Re 11, improved alerts: We do not understand what you mean by "breadcrumb tagging".

- Re 2, ratings: I don't see how Bruce's post relates. That said, in the original "Recommendations" document, this item was placed under the "for admins" header. Why not allow all users to rate postings, the typical collaborative filtering approach?

- Re 6 & 7, protocol and meta-commentary: We don't fully understand how these would work, and fear that the required user interface elements will clutter and confuse users more than they will help. They're still interesting and definitely worth pursuing, though, so we propose that these are postponed to a version 2 of this work.

The next step we on our end intend to do is to develop some page layout sketches that we will then post for review and can base further discussions on. Our next work session is Sunday, so expect to see these early next week.

/Lars

Collapse
Thank you Lars for the thoughtful reply.

<blockquote> - Re 3, expand/collapse: Your oroginal
"Recommendations" doc says "the user could
customize the display". Does this simply mean
that the user can click expand/collapse
posts/subthreads, or can the user chose some
other configuration settings that would apply
to all threads? Would they apply to all forums
as well, or be a per-forum option? What would
those customizations be?
</blockquote>

I think, the former (per thread).
What we thought of when writing the quoted first
version was simply that the user should be allowed
to change the expand/collapse display, overriding
system or class level or forum's level pre-setting.
We did not yet think if this should be a single
setting for all forums /threads. I think the best
way to set the display is to have the class admin
make some recommended pre-setting. It the user wants
to override it for some reason s/he can do this for
each lower level again. If this is too much bother
s/he should talk to the class admin to discuss whether
the pre-settings are really the best for the given
context, and then perhaps a solution is found on a
content level, e. g., splitting forums according to
different usage patterns. So, user-specific settings
should be sufficient on a per-thread basis.

<blockquote>
- Re 9, text input:
[...]
</blockquote>

Not sure how to reach the htmlArea editor on the
test servers / which test server.
Guessing from your judgement of "Difficult", we
think you have understood the desired optimal
functionality right. We will try to further elaborate
on the use cases, but as a quick answer,
the "copy & paste safeness" goal is the most important,
and there is also a "easy" subset possible: the simple
radical solution to the take the pasted input, put html
"<PRE>" tags around it, and let the horizontal
scroll bar do the rest.

<blockquote>
- Re 5, "Sohpisticated sorting": The original
"Recommendations" doc says "a way of
making one's favorites and sorting
accordingly". We (as well as Jeff above) are
not sure what those favorites are. Is it favorite
authors? Favorite threads? Posts? Then sort so
threads where your favorite authors have
posted are on top? Or does it refer to a favorite
sort order, so the system will remember how
you last sorted this list?

Another possibility to consider: Google's new
Gmail service has a mechanism where you can
tag emails/conversations with a "star", which
makes that email/conversation show up in a
special, automatic "Starred" folder. This
would be a very efficient and convenient way
to save a thread for later, e.g. I could have this
thread starred while I'm working on the
project. Google's implementation is very slick
as well, since setting/removing the 'star' flag is
handled transparently in the background, so
you don't need to wait for a round-trip to the
server, and you don't loose your position on
the page.
</blockquote>

Yes, sorting by favorites is in fact part of the
# 2) "Rating" star system on the wishlist, with Bruce's
answer
https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=184018
to Jeff's question. We have not yet decided among
priorites however, that might be relevant for
sorting in general vs. this additional sort field.

<blockquote>
- Re 11, improved alerts: We do not
understand what you mean by "breadcrumb
tagging".
</blockquote>

Sorry for this unpolished part of the advanced wishes.
Microsoft SharePoint notifications contain an indication
where the document lives whose change is being reported.
If you have several changes in the same neigborhood at
the same notification interval, this will probably look
like this

Subject A > Topic A3 > Subtopic A31 > Team paper: changed
Subject A > Topic A3 > Subtopic A31 > Wrap up paper: updated
Subject A > Topic A3 > Overview: added
Subject A > Topic A3 > Subtopic A37 > Introducton: revised
Subject B > Topic B1 > Subtopic B14 > Content Part 5: moved
Subject B > Topic B1 > Subtopic B14 > Summary: deleted

This sort of bulk notifications could be optimized by
sorting, omitting repeating crumbs, indenting, and
sophisticatedly offering deep-linking "handles" right
into the subsection being most approriate for the
personal workflow, as sketched in the newer specs.

<blockquote>
- Re 2, ratings: I don't see how Bruce's post
relates. That said, in the original
"Recommendations" document, this item was
placed under the "for admins" header. Why
not allow all users to rate postings, the typical
collaborative filtering approach?
</blockquote>

Sorry for that little misunderstanding among ourselves.

<blockquote>
- Re 6 & 7, protocol and meta-commentary:
We don't fully understand how these would
work, and fear that the required user interface
elements will clutter and confuse users more
than they will help. They're still interesting
and definitely worth pursuing, though, so we
propose that these are postponed to a version 2
of this work.

</blockquote>

Ok.