Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: Forums Review by the UAB

Collapse
Posted by Matthias Melcher on
I would identify these three main use cases:

A: Very basic functionality, for people who were comfortable with the communication provided by simple listserv lists for the last two decades, and who are ready to take advantage of forums software to take this business out of the (overcrowded) inbox.

D: use for intensive, long, structured discussions, for instance, in the humanities (Dorothea's, see link above). Subcases might be Bruce's ones above, Exploratory or Debating (Problem solving, IMO, is rather "A" obove or "X" below.)

X: Usage where users are trying to extend forum functionality into a direction that might be better accomodated by other types of communcation channels but (for some reason) they don't want to (or may not) adopt these. Examples/subcases include

- users who like to retain their inbox workflow as they did in listserv times

- users who think of more advanced social networking features / communities of practice but do not have blogs, wikis, and the like available yet. (The next use case where all these communication channels coexist and forums plays a very distinct optimized role, is IMO not yet realistic). See #2, #6, #7.

I think we should not waste too much time with trying to conduct serious use case analyses for the forums, because we are not (yet) at the stage of fine-tuning and adjusting to sophisticated special audiences but rather try to accomodate basic usability requirements.

Targeting to single audiences, here, will mainly involve the pre-setting of reasonable defaults. For instance, the default value for expand and collapse could perhaps be "collapsed" for use  case D while beng "expanded" for others.

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
You hit rock buttom to one of the most asked for features. Reply to forum postings. Forums should be able to replace simple listserv mailing-lists. And it should actually work and be documented how to get it to work.

Regarding use cases, it is necessary to be *aware* of multiple uses for the design of the software, but they do not have to be fully fleshed out.

Last but not least. Do not reinvent the wheel over and over again. Jeff posted links to the state of the art. Mimic it. This should take care of the usability that concerns most of the users.

If you want to get serious about Forums, then take a look at the forum developed for the StudIP plattform.
http://www.goettingen.studip.de/forum.php?&flatviewstartposting=0#anker

The forum package (on it's own) has been the topic of a PhD thesis from a sociologist and has a ton of features that make the forum useful even in a very complex discussion. I'd change some of the things, but if you want to extend forums beyond a basic approach, seriously take a look at it.

Summary of key extensions (which I found really neat):

- Collapsable Rating and Poster information
- In posting quotes (the quote appears in a seperate box within the posting).
- Relevance calculation (based on views, rating, links)
- Indicator in the front of each posting (esp. in collapsed view), for immediate color coded scanning of relevance, rating or new postings.

Collapse
Posted by Dorothea Fischer-Hornung on
Can't get into the studlP platform. Asks for a user log in.
Collapse
Posted by Dorothea Fischer-Hornung on
The current structure of this forum is a very good example of the problem of not linking responses to given postings. I have come into the discussion quite late and therefore all of my contributions are at the end of the thread although some of my comments refer to postings quite early in the thread.

The longer this thread becomes, the more problematical this will become. Matthias can do a wonderful visualization of our own UAB forum structure that will be just as destructive to rational discussion as the present .lrn forum.

Collapse
Posted by Carl Robert Blesius on
Dorothea, make sure to look at the comment threading on stories on kuro5hin (that Jeff mentioned above).

The start of a thread:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/comments/2004/4/30/161255/403/80#80

There are little drop downs that allow the users to sort as they wish.

Pick "dynamic threaded" or "dynamic minimal".