Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: Request for advice from the OCT

Collapse
Posted by Ola Hansson on
Malte, your latest posting is the best posting I have ever read on this subject. Well said indeed!

I haven't checked out Evaluation yet. Is it a backend to Assessment/Survey? Will Assessment/Survey have a dependency (in the .info file) on Evaluation?

The SS engine will want to deliver the "test" to a certain user (or party) when the sequence and the sequencing rules say that activity is next in line in the given sequence. Then, as you said earlier, Malte, the "score" will either be pushed back to the SS engine by the Evaluation package (or Assessment perhaps?), or, pulled back to the SS engine from Evaluation by having the SS engine poll Evaluation at the proper point(s) in time. The "score" will have have to be normalized to a value between 0 and 1 (I think) according to the SS spec, but a percentage value is a good start 😊

Collapse
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
I haven't checked out Evaluation yet. Is it a backend to Assessment/Survey? Will Assessment/Survey have a dependency (in the .info file) on Evaluation?

If I have my way, no :). I'd like to support callbacks to do the actual "push", if needed at all, but rely on a "pull" mechanism otherwise. To be honest, I think the score should be made available on request, but I did not look into the exact integration with evaluation.

To avoid confusion, a "score" is a percentage value describing the relativeness of success in an assessment. A grade is what the evaluation system makes out of it. Internally the assessment system does allow negative percentage values to reflect the punishment for really answering stupidly/dangerously (e.g. in medical exams). For packages calling the assessment system with "as_score -user_id -assessment_id or -item_id or -section_id" the result will be calculated to be between 0 and 100 (percent), therefore helping your SS engine. We could add a switch "-normalized" so the value would be between 0 and 1 :).