Forum .LRN Q&A: Re: dotLRN accessibility study

Collapse
Posted by Tristan Kalnins-Cole on
I have finished testing my default installation of DotLRN. At the moment I am compiling all the results and information into an organized format. I will list here a summary of the results until the complete version is available.

Priority 1
There are only a few issues that need to be considered, most of which are related to images and alt text (for example the spacer images have no alt text descriptions). It should be straightforward to achieve priority 1 compliance.

Priority 2
After automated testing it appeared as though there were a lot of problems at this priority level. However, after examining the code it became clear that most of the errors found were trivial (for example fixed sizes are specified for presentation line elements instead of relative sizes). Some non-trivial issues were discovered (for example a lot of form elements require explicit labels). As with priority 1, achieving priority 2 compliance appears to be straightforward.

Priority 3
This is where a large majority of the issues were discovered. A number of non-trivial changes are needed to the site in order for it to achieve priority 3 compliance. A majority of these changes are in the area of navigation (for example the need for invisible ‘skip links’ to allow users, who are accessing the site serially, to jump past link menus and areas of similar links (such as the calendar)).

So all in all it is looking very good. Considering the definitions of the priority levels (provided at the end of this post for easy reference) and that only slight modifications are needed to achieve level 1 and 2 compliance, in its current state DotLRN is very solid in terms of accessibility.

Note that the links provided in my original post are now old or non-existant. I will post links to the complete documents within a week of today.

Thanks,
-Tristan Kalnins-Cole

-----

From http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10
[Priority 1]
A Web content developer must satisfy this checkpoint. Otherwise, one or more groups will find it impossible to access information in the document. Satisfying this checkpoint is a basic requirement for some groups to be able to use Web documents.
[Priority 2]
A Web content developer should satisfy this checkpoint. Otherwise, one or more groups will find it difficult to access information in the document. Satisfying this checkpoint will remove significant barriers to accessing Web documents.
[Priority 3]
A Web content developer may address this checkpoint. Otherwise, one or more groups will find it somewhat difficult to access information in the document. Satisfying this checkpoint will improve access to Web documents.