Forum OpenACS Q&A: Compiling AOLServer 4.0.7 under Win2k

Collapse
Posted by Frank Bergmann on
Hi Andrew,

I've finally managed to building AOLServer under Windows as described in http://panoptic.com/wiki/aolserver/1332 .
It actually has worked out relatively easily with only a few issues quickly resolved (HEAD didn't compile, so I had to copy the built.tcl from HEAD into version 4.0.7 which I happened to have in both source and binary distribution. Also, I had to tweak build.tcl by removing limits.obj and pools.obj from the make list).

However, my cool new AOLServer doesn't load the OpenACS modules when starting. How did you go ahead with this in your installation? Also, all of these libraries that Jamie describes in http://empoweringminds.mle.ie/openacs/aolserver_modules are missing.

I've checked around a bit but I'm not very familiar with AOLServer so it's a bit tricky for me to diagnose the issue(s)...

Bests,
Frank

Collapse
Posted by Jamie Rasmussen on
Hi Frank, sorry for the slow response.  I don't know what is causing your broken gif problem.  If using a newer version doesn't fix it, you may want to check out that the proper headers are coming through via Mozilla's livehttpheaders or Ethereal or similar.  Does this happen only to some gif files or all, and does it happen all the time?

Vlassis is using a binary distribution from me, but he isn't using 4.0b10, he's using a nightly build of 4.1a from a couple of months ago.  I've put another nightly build of 4.1a up at
http://jamierasmussen.com/download/ if you want to try that.  There's no online bugtracker for my build.  I'm afraid that this is an untested build from HEAD with some Win32 and other patches (and I haven't looked at the recent changes by Jim that it includes).  But it does include all of the modules that OpenACS uses and many that OpenACS doesn't.

When I last checked, Dossy's script didn't build any non-core modules.

Collapse
Hi Jamie,

I've downloaded your nsd410a-bin-rel-20041101.zip binary distribution and more or less successfully installed it. However, when running it instead in Vlassis configuration instead of his 4.0 beta 10 version (not your 4.1 stuff...), I get the error:

"0-acs-init.tcl: error loading tdom: too many recursions".

I've tweaked a bit the tDom's pkgIndex by comparing it to the original and was able to make it working using:

package ifneeded tdom 0.7.8  "load [file join $dir libtdom078[info sharedlibextension]] tdom; source [file join $dir tdom.tcl]"

Using this command the infinite loop seems to disappear, but I'm now getting the error: "0-acs-init.tcl: error loading tdom: tDOM wasn't compiled for multithreading". Any idea?

Bests,
Frank

Collapse
Posted by Jamie Rasmussen on
Oh, Vlassis may have ended up using the 4.0b10 stuff after all, I remember now that he had some problems with getting 4.1 to shutdown cleanly.  I unfortunately never had time to look at his installer closely.

There should be tDOM 0.8.0 binaries in the zip you downloaded from me.  If you copied the files from my zip over an older installation of AOLserver you may be mixing files from two different version of tDOM?  I'm not sure why you're getting the multithreading message.  My zip just includes the pre-built win32 dlls from tdom.org - I think that download used to be a multithreaded build...

I'm afraid that's the only thing that comes to mind, if you don't figure it out, you might ask on the AOLserver mailing list and Zoran or someone else could know what's happening.

Is the nsxml compatibility layer still working?

Collapse
Hi Jamie,

thanks a lot.

<blockquote> I don't have OpenACS installed at the moment
</blockquote>

There is a very, very quick option for this. Just download the "Vlassis" installer and you'll have OpenACS running (on Cygwin PostgreSQL 7.3) within 3 minutes. Impressive really.

In order to test your distro, you would only have to replace Vlassis' "nsd4" subdirectory by your distro, and there you go. I imagine that testing in a final system is going to be much quicker and will produce less errors then with a partial configuration...

Btw., I've got OpenACS and Project/Open running with PostgreSQL 8.0 beta 3 on my Win2k box, and I haven't had a single problem, not with the install nor with the operations (there were some problems with beta-1 and beta-2 though). Jeff actually made some changes to HEAD during 5.1.1 for PG 8.0, so these changes should be in 5.1.2 now. So you actually might start to go ahead.

Bests,
Frank

Collapse
Hi Jamie,

thanks for sending me the threaded tdom-0.8.0. I've installed it and AOLServer 4.1.0a loads correctly. Also, the load time for OpenACS has gone down remarkebly. Is there some whichcraft going on???

However, I'm now getting problems with some Project/Open transactions. For example I'm getting a timeout when I try to create a new company. The log file doesn't say anything in this case, it's as if I would never have selected the page. It does work fine with AOLServer 4.0.beta10, I've renamed the directory and it works fine now again.

So I think I'll have to do the same as Vlassis and revert to 4.0.beta10 again because I'm running out of time. However, I can provide you with my test setu-up here if you want. It consists of Vlassis' install results, replacing his C:\OpenACS\nsd4 by your 4.1.0a distro and by adding some P/O packages. I can send you the P/O packages as a ZIP if you want.

Cheers,
Frank

Collapse
Posted by Henry Ma on
Hi Frank,

Do you still have the threaded tDOM-0.8.0 dlls? I was trying to install openacs into my aolserver on Windows XP yesterday. When I checked the server log, I got the same error you had - "tDOM wasn't compiled for multithreading." If you still have the files, can you email it to me at mailto:hema6833@mail.usyd.edu.au? Also, did you just put all the dlls into lib directory under aolserver root directory?