Forum .LRN Q&A: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged

Collapse
Posted by Tracy Adams on
I just tagged .LRN 2.1 a2 in the CVS tree.

This version has openacs-5-1-2b as the openacs core and then the tip of oacs-5-1 branch.  We'll continue to use the openacs-5-1-2b core for future releases unless there is a new core version.

Here is how to check out the code:

cvs -z3 -d :pserver:mailto:anonymous@openacs.org:/cvsroot checkout -r dotlrn-2-1-0a2 acs-core

mv openacs-4 dotlrn

cd dotlrn/packages

cvs -z3 -d :pserver:mailto:anonymous@openacs.org:/cvsroot checkout -r dotlrn-2-1-0a2 dotlrn-all

mv dotlrn/install.xml ..

Collapse
2: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 1)
Posted by Malte Sussdorff on
Hi Tracy, great news. I assume the upgrade path between this version and the final 2.1 is guaranteed as you and Galileo are following that path as well ?

Furthermore, is it possible to change the dotlrn-all packaging to include the acs-core as well or is this too much magic with OpenACS? If it is, maybe we could open up a "release" repository for dotlrn, which *only* contains releases (get's updated only on a release), so pure users could download from there and we can quickly build the tarball based on this.

I'd be willing to write the bash script to achieve this magic :).

Collapse
3: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 1)
Posted by Tracy Adams on
After this experience with working running an open source project like the .LRN core, I do have some thoughts about the most effiecient and succesful way to run it.

Basically, you get people that are activily using the latest release and you informally work together to make the software better and better.  Each organization commits that in addition to fixing things on their own site, they also put their fixes into the core.  Each organization commits to "be there" for the other ones if there is a crisis bug or project.  When it makes sense for the code base, they tag everything up and release it for everyone else in the community.

That can be complimented by volunteers working on other projects, package contributions, etc.

In that sense, it is not like a product company where there "guarantee" certain things are going to be done, or that there is really a core development team or a structure like there is at a product company.

For .LRN, two 100% committed organizations right now to this model are Sloan and Galileo.  I say this because I've been working closely with both and they have both upgraded (or are literally doing so) to the .LRN 2.1a so they are highly dependent on it.  And they are also committed to staying close to the latest version and summitting their latest work to the active version.

There may be others interested in participating that way as well.  A core team of about 5 schools or organizations would be ideal.

So, Malte, to answer your question, is the upgrade path "guaranteed".  Here is what I can say:

a) Developers are supposed to commit upgrade scripts with their checkins
b) Yes, both Galileo and Sloan will be following the upgrade path so we are dependent on that

So there is a clear attempt being made.

But beyond that, nothing is "guaranteed".  We won't be making efforts to test it in extra places and makes sure it works everywhere beyond Galileo and Sloan.

Bottom line, if you want to make something works for you
a) you test it
b) you are willing to put in some resources to help make it better

Collapse
4: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 3)
Hi Tracy, maybe my lack of knowledge of the English language came into play. I never meant "contractually guaranteed" or "guaranteed by any party". Guaranteed was just meant in a: "The release manager is working for one organization that will be following the upgrade path", so it is safe to assume that the upgrade will work and the release manager has an interest in the upgrade to work before cutting that release. Which is in direct contrast to the upgrade path from 2.0.3 to 2.1.

I've been upgrading and testing .LRN for the last 9 months, going from 2.0.3 to 2.1alpha1 and alpha2, with a couple of steps in between and it works (after I learned how to make my way around some problems and fixed some bugs). So I'm not the target group for the upgrade "guarantee". The target group are organizations that want to make use of .LRN but are afraid to go with 2.1alpha2 because they assume that an upgrade will not be possible. But going with 2.0.3 is not a good idea if you want to make real use of .LRN and it's many cool features (not to mention that my feeling is that 2.1alpha2 has fewer bugs than the released 2.0.3, but this is my feeling :)).

Collapse
5: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 1)
Posted by Tracy Adams on
If people have the willingness and resources to participate in testing and bug fixing, moving from 2.0.3 to 2.1a2 and step by step up to 2.1 final should do fine.  It will be mostly there as there is both an Oracle and Postgres school following this path.
Collapse
6: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 1)
Posted by Dario Roig on
Hi Tracy and Rocael!

I congratulate you for the carried out work.

We continue detecting and solving bugs. Some of the errors that we consider important to solve for the version .LRN 2.1 they are:

Erros with copy, move in File storage
By WebDav the students can delete files in the folders where not have permissions.
Homework Nº1943

We would also like to include the Catalan language in the realease 2.1

Where we translate in "translate.openacs.org" or in our copy of the CVS and save de changes with commit?

We are also worried by the scalability and final term of delivery of .LRN 2.1-rc1.
We have at the moment 40.000 students, 200 professors and 1.000 courses and the date maximun for start with .LRN 2.1-rc1 to 10 september.
Sofware: Postgres 7.4.2, aolserver 4.0 and linux
Hardware:
One cluster with
          1 PC "pizarra1.uv.es" webserver in pentium IV
          1 PC "pizarra2.uv.es" webserver in pentium IV
          1 PC "pizarradb" database in Opteron dual

Please if there is not problem you try to respond me the following questions.

For Sloan:

Do you know which the maximum term of delivery of the .LRN 2.1-rc1 and update?

How many students, courses and professors have in Sloan?

Sofware and Hardware?

For Galileo:

Do you know which the maximum term of delivery of the .LRN 2.1-rc1 and update?

How many students, courses and professors have in Galileo?

Sofware and Hardware?

Thanks.

Collapse
7: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Dario,

Can you please post a bug with steps to reproduce the WebDAV bug you describe? I can't reproduce it, and I don't see where it could be coming from. If you need to discuss it please start a new thread.

Collapse
8: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 7)
Posted by Tracy Adams on
<blockquote>> Erros with copy, move in File storage
</blockquote>

Those have been covered.

Dario, what we need to do is get you highly integrated with Sloan and Galileo so you can be part of the process (finding bugs, reporting bugs, actually using the alpha code against your data) so we can all work together.  Sloan and Galileo have found that extremely productive.

How do you do your development and testing? Are you set up on the oacs-5-1 branch or on the dotlrn-2.1.0a2 tag?  Do you have commit rights to commit the bugs you find and fix.

Collapse
10: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 8)
Posted by Tracy Adams on
<blockquote>>Homework Nº1943
</blockquote>

I don't know what this means.

But what is far easier is to report the bugs in the bug tracker: https://openacs.org/bugtracker/openacs

and then make a summary list of Bug name/Bug ID of things that are needed.

The bug tracker has the tracking capability for us to see if it is fixed, comment on it, etc.  If it is in the forums, it is likely to get lost.

Collapse
9: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 1)
Posted by Andrew Grumet on
Hi Dario,

Here's the user breakdown for Sloan:

[External (1768) | Professor (101) | Staff (139) | Student (13323) | Pending (3) | Deactivated (1946)]

The hardware is: Sun Fire v440 with 16GB RAM, 4 CPUs.

The software is: .LRN pre-2.1, cvs tag dotlrn-2-1-0a1, with a number of bugfixes and performance tweaks, most of which have been rolled back into the .LRN cvs.

Collapse
11: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 1)
Also, there are about 3,300 communities total, though the larger portion of these are archived.  We currently have 326 active classes and 268 active clubs.
Collapse
12: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 6)
Posted by Rocael Hernández Rizzardini on
Hello Dario,
look at this thread: https://openacs.org/forums/message-view?message_id=200201

I think, you should be fine to start with alpha3 which might come this friday or monday! (Tracy?)

Site nodes and some bad performance queries should be your biggest concern, I suggest you to start testing (loading all the 80K users + plus the courses) with oacs-5-1 and report soon slow stuff and if possible fix them!.

BTW, do NOT use curriculum due bad performance with a bunch of nodes... (comment it from dotlrn-master.tcl)

Collapse
13: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 1)
I know it is alpha, but can we release a tarball as well ? Reason I ask: 2.1a2 feels considerably more stable than 2.0.3 and people still install 2.0.3 as there is no other version available.
Collapse
14: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 1)
Posted by Dario Roig on
Thank you to all for your help!!

The error with webdav doesn't exist it has been my confusion, sorry. (Thanks Dave)
When entering as professor and student from the same computer with Windows XP the permissions they are not correct.

Collapse
15: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 8)
Posted by Dario Roig on
Hi Tracy!

We also want to work with you.

Our plans are the following ones:

-The day September 1 checkout of CVS branch oacs-5-1    because some more solved errors that dotlrn-2-1-0a2

We have a copy of this code and are personalizing it, the day 15 September start with .LRN in production (http://pizarra.uv.es) with  200 professors, 15.000 students and 1.000 classes more or less, because with 40.000 students have problems of scalability.

I daily check the changes in the branch oacs-5-1 of the CVS, I prove them in my installation of tests (pizarra3.uv.es), and if they go well intent to put them in the production installation.

-We have user in the CVS (darior) and we go solving the errors directly in the CVS branch oacs-5-1

Some suggestion?

Thanks Tracy

Collapse
16: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 1)
Posted by Tracy Adams on
Dario,

Sounds great.

What would be most beneficial, if you haven't done it already, is if you ran the code against your existing database with all the users, etc.  Make an export, run through the upgrade and test it.

That will give us an idea of any scalability things to work on.

I'll be tagging the branch about once per week.  When you are ready, I can make a tag shortly before your launch so you can launch on an official version.

We are still putting in several bug fixes per day.  In a week or so, I'll start making tarballs for other people to try, but right now we still need "hands on helpers" that can help us fix problems.

Collapse
17: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 1)
Posted by Hector Amado on
Hi!

Next week i am going to upgrade from .LRN 2.0.3 (from tarball) to .LRN 2.1 (oacs-5-1).

I have 1,200 users,
  110 classes (UNIS, Istmo University, Guatemala) .
  I'am using postgreSQL.

Héctor Amado  (Galileo)
Collapse
18: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 1)
Hi Hector,

Quick warning, some things changed in file storage since 2.0.3.

There's an upgrade script to address this

packages/file-storage/sql/oracle/upgrade/upgrade-5.1.0a6-5.1.0a7.sql

but it has some side effects that break dotlrn-homework.

If your 2.0.3 system has data in dotlrn-homework, you will need to make sure the needed upgrade script, or more likely modification to the existing one, is in place before proceeding.

Collapse
19: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 1)
To potential script writers, including me when I get back Tuesday (I'm about to leave for a long weekend)...

The issue is that the upgrade script (mentioned above) simply reverses cr_items.name and cr_revisions.title for all files including dotlrn-homework files.

This breaks the homework naming scheme because homework rightly twiddles the cr_items.name to maintain uniqueness.

So we need to add a script that does the right thing for homework files, basically stripping off the user_id encoding, then swapping the name/title, then reencoding the name.  We also have to decide whether the file storage upgrade script should skip homework files, or if the homework script should assume that the file storage script has already been run.

Collapse
20: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 16)
Posted by Dario Roig on
Hi!

Now our database is empty and we can't test it, sorry.
The problems the scalability detected with 40.000 users are because the table acs_permissions have 500.000 of rows.

We have decided not to create all the users once and for all and we will only have about 15.000 students and we hope not to have problems with the perfomance.

When you are ready, I can make a tag shortly before your launch so you can launch on an official version.

It is not necessary that you make us a tag, thanks. But if that we would like to include the Catalan language in the branch of the cvs oacs-5-1. We have translated the platform to the Catalan language in the translate.openacs.org.

Darior
Thanks

Collapse
21: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 1)
Hi!,  I am having troubles with some upgrade scripts for postgres.
        from 2.0.3 (tarball) to 2.1.0a2 (oacs-5-1)

I changed the apm_upgrade_logic in:
    acs-authentication
        apm-callback-procs.tcl
              5.1.1  5.1.2    ->    5.1.1    5.1.2d1

dotlrn
        apm-callback-procs.tcl
            2.0.3    2.1.0    ->    2.0.3    2.1.0a2

fs-portlet:
    upgrade-2.0.3-2.0.4.sql
        The creation of a trigger did not work.
        I fixed the trigger and committed the changes.

lars-blogger:
    upgrade-2.0d2-2.0d3.sql
        The creation of a trigger did not work.
        I fixed the trigger and committed the changes.

workflow:
    upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql
        I reported the bug #2094
        https://openacs.org/bugtracker/openacs/bug?bug%5fnumber=2094

file-storage:
    upgrade-5.1.0d1-5.1.0d2.sql
        The script did not work,  i commented this line:
        line 49
        -- drop function file_storage__new_root_folder(integer);

This worked, but is ok?

upgrade-5.1.0a6-5.1.0a7.sql
      I got this error:

CREATE FUNCTION
CREATE FUNCTION
psql:upgrade-5.1.0a6-5.1.0a7.sql:80: ERROR:  invalid input syntax for integer: "Notas.2.xls"
CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "tmp_fs_name_duplicate" while casting return value to function's return type
PL/pgSQL function "inline_0" line 32 at select into variables
DROP FUNCTION
DROP FUNCTION

I commented this in bug #2092

Héctor.

Collapse
22: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 21)
Posted by Michele Slocovich on
Héctor,

regarding bug #2092, did you apply the patch before running the script ?

what version are you upgrading for ?
as i was submitting the bug someone observed that such script should only be needed if you are upgrading from 5.0.x versions, and you should skip it by renaming it to something like 5.0.99-5.1.0 (i actually just removed it).

Collapse
23: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 22)
Hi Michele,

I did a checkout from oacs-5-1
            The file have revision 1.1.2.2  (up-to-date)

version of file-storage is 5.0.1

Do i need the script?

Thanks,
                                          Héctor.
Collapse
24: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 1)
Posted by Dave Bauer on
Hector,

Yes. Any version prior to 5.1.0 will need the upgrade script. The only time it would cause a problem is if a development version of file-storage was installed and then upgraded.

We generally don't guarantee upgrade between development versions so this shouldn't be a issue for the majority of installations.

Collapse
25: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 1)
Posted by Gerard Low on
on postgresql 7.3.4, the .LRN admin function "Archived Classes and Communities" appears to be broken.

http://localhost:8000/dotlrn/admin/archived-communities

the error.log file is also showing this as well

Warning: Query dbqd.dotlrn.www.admin.archived-communities.select_archived_comms has rdbms info postgres 7.2 which is not compatible with system rdbms postgresql 7.3

Collapse
26: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 25)
Posted by David Ortega on
Hi,

Last week, we have upgraded from .LRN2.0.3 to .LRN2.1a2. (postgresql version)

First, we have made changes that Hector proposed. To solve bug 2094, we have deleted line 36 of the script:

-- alter table workflow_fsm_action_en_in_st add constraint workflow_fsm_action_en_in_st_pk primary key (action_id, state_id);

Any implication?

Other problems we have had are:

* We couldn't see "DAY SUMMARY" in initial screens of users o classes. In our log, we got:

[09/Sep/2004:13:15:03][27086.4101][-conn:elane::1] Error: Error in include templ ate "/var/lib/aolserver/elane/packages/calendar/www/view-one-day-display": No fu llquery for dbqd.calendar.www.views.select_all_day_items and default SQL empty -  query for statement missing No fullquery for dbqd.calendar.www.views.select_all_day_items and default SQL empty - query for statement missing
    while executing

To solve it, we have duplicated code of function "select_items" in packages/calendar/www/view-postgresql.xql and have named it "select_all_day_items"

* Neither we could see the section "CLASS INFO" in the initial screens of classes or communities. We always get next error:

Error in include template "/var/lib/aolserver/elane/packages/static-portlet/www/static-portlet": Database operation "0or1row" failed (exception NSDB, "Query was not a statement returning rows.") ERROR: column "body" does not exist SQL: select body as content, pretty_name from static_portal_content where content_id = '3322'

To solve it we had to execute manually the pgrade script static-portlet/sql/postgresql/upgrade/upgrade-2.0.3d1-2.0.3d2.sql

* We couldn't create any course or community. We got:

Database operation "0or1row" failed (exception NSDB, "Query was not a statement returning rows.")

ERROR:  syntax error at or near ":" at character 9
CONTEXT:  PL/pgSQL function "fold_rename" line 5 at if

SQL:
            select content_folder__edit_name(
                '4811',
                null,
                'Documentos de Nueva asignatura',
                null
            );

while executing
"ns_pg_bind 0or1row nsdb0 {
            select content_folder__edit_name(
                :folder_id,
                null,
                :name,
    ..."

This problem came from a trigger definition in file fs-portlet/sql/postgresql/upgrade/upgrade-2.0.3-2.0.4.sql.
We made some changes and now it works. Our new definition is:

create or replace function fold_rename() returns trigger as '
        declare
          row_res record;
        begin

if old.label <> new.label then
            for row_res in select m.element_id
                        from portal_element_map m,
                        portal_element_parameters p
                    where p.key = ''folder_id''
                          and p.value = new.folder_id
                          and m.element_id = p.element_id
                          and m.name = ''fs_contents_portlet'' loop

update portal_element_map
              set pretty_name = new.label
              where element_id = row_res.element_id;

end loop;
        end if;
        return new;
        end; ' language 'plpgsql';

Collapse
27: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 1)
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
What we had to do to upgrade from 2.0.3 to 2.1 (Postgres):

1. file-storage upgrade failed
Commented line in upgrade-5.1.0d1-5.1.0d2.sql (line 49):
drop function file_storage__new_root_folder (integer);

2. static-portlet broken:
Changed query in static-portlet/www/element.xql to
select content ...

3. static-portlet broken:
Changed query in static-portlet/www/static-portlet.tcl
select content ...

4. static-portlet broken: static-portal-content-procs.xql
static_portal_content::update.update_content_item
static_portal_content::get_content.get_content.select

5. dotlrn/www/admin/cockpit.tcl
^M at the end of each line cause list builder problem. All were replaced.

6. Workflow packages failed to upgrade:
Several sql commands fails in upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql

psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:13: ERROR:  relation named &quot;wf_roles_short_name_un&quot; already exists
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:14: ERROR:  relation named &quot;wf_roles_pretty_name_un&quot; already exists
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:16: ERROR:  relation named &quot;wf_actions_short_name_un&quot; already exists
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:17: ERROR:  relation named &quot;wf_actions_pretty_name_un&quot; already exists
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:19: ERROR:  relation named &quot;wf_fsm_states_short_name_un&quot; already exists
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:20: ERROR:  relation named &quot;wf_fsm_states_pretty_name_un&quot; already exists
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:24: ERROR:  Relation &quot;workflow_initial_action&quot; does not exist
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:36: ERROR:  Cannot create unique index. Table contains non-unique values
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:50: ERROR:  relation named &quot;workflow_deputies_deputy_idx&quot; already exists
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:57: ERROR:  ALTER TABLE / DROP CONSTRAINT: wf_cases_object_id_un does not exist
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:61: ERROR:  relation named &quot;wf_fsm_states_workflow_idx&quot; already exists
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:64: ERROR:  ALTER TABLE / DROP CONSTRAINT: wf_fsm_acn_enb_in_st_acn_id_fk does not exist
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:68: ERROR:  relation named &quot;wf_fsm_act_en_in_st_action_idx&quot; already exists
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:69: ERROR:  relation named &quot;wf_fsm_act_en_in_st_state_idx&quot; already exists
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:80: ERROR:  ALTER TABLE: column name &quot;parent_action_id&quot; already exists in table &quot;workflow_actions&quot;
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:86: ERROR:  ALTER TABLE: column name &quot;trigger_type&quot; already exists in table &quot;workflow_actions&quot;
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:92: ERROR:  Relation &quot;workflow_initial_action&quot; does not exist
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:93: ERROR:  table &quot;workflow_initial_action&quot; does not exist
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:97: ERROR:  ALTER TABLE: column name &quot;timeout&quot; already exists in table &quot;workflow_actions&quot;
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:105: ERROR:  ALTER TABLE: column name &quot;parent_action_id&quot; already exists in table &quot;workflow_fsm_states&quot;
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:106: ERROR:  relation named &quot;wf_fsm_states_prnt_action_idx&quot; already exists
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:110: ERROR:  Relation 'workflow_case_enbl_act_seq' already exists
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:134: ERROR:  Relation 'workflow_case_enabled_actions' already exists
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:136: ERROR:  relation named &quot;wf_case_enbl_act_case_idx&quot; already exists
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:137: ERROR:  relation named &quot;wf_case_enbl_act_action_idx&quot; already exists
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:151: ERROR:  Relation 'workflow_case_action_assignees' already exists
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:153: ERROR:  relation named &quot;wf_case_actn_asgn_en_act_idx&quot; already exists
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:154: ERROR:  relation named &quot;wf_case_actn_asgn_party_idx&quot; already exists
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:161: ERROR:  ALTER TABLE: column name &quot;parent_enabled_action_id&quot; already exists in table &quot;workflow_case_fsm&quot;
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:165: ERROR:  relation named &quot;wf_case_fsm_case_parent_un&quot; already exists
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:167: ERROR:  relation named &quot;wf_case_fsm_prnt_enbl_actn_idx&quot; already exists
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:168: ERROR:  relation named &quot;workflow_case_fsm_state_idx&quot; already exists
psql:upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql:184: ERROR:  Cannot drop view workflow_case_assigned_actions because other objects depend on it

Any idea?

Greetings,
Nima

Collapse
28: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 1)
Posted by Bruce Spear on
I just want to say that as one of the "not really a programmer or sysadmin" types I'm awfully grateful to you you all for working out all these bugs so people like myself can unpack the tarball and with only a fraction as much time and energy enjoy the benefits! Thanks!  Bruce
Collapse
29: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 1)
Posted by Tracy Adams on
Is there a person out there willing to take care of making sure all the postgres changes get into CVS?

Sloan has done the full upgrade process for Oracle, so we have that.  Galileo was a port from ACS 3x, so I they didn't run through the 2.0.3->2.1 process. So that leaves a whole.

Who is willing to make sure that the fixes get in and that 2.0.3 --> 2.1 postgres goes smoothly?

Thanks,
Tracy

Collapse
30: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 1)
Posted by Nima Mazloumi on
Tracy,

I can help on that but I need a list of packages that had or will have changes in the database level. Since there are by far too many packages involved I kind of got lost where to check for potential problems.

Is it possible to generate such a list from cvs? I am not very experienced with cvs.

Greetings,
Nima

Collapse
31: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 29)
I can help too.

Héctor.
Collapse
32: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 27)
Posted by Bruce Spear on
Hi Nima:  Where are you now with the upgrade?  I'm now ready to upgrade from 2.0.3 to 2.1 and am studying the general upgrade instructions.  You indicate some problems that I might run into: have you (and others!) solved them, and if so, I'd love to spare myself some trouble by hearing about it.  Thanks!  Bruce
Collapse
33: Re: .LRN 2.1 a2 tagged (response to 32)
Hi Bruce,

I've finished the upgrade,

Working with postgres, from 2.0.3 (tarball)) to 2.1.0b2 (oacs-5-1)

dotlrn:
    tcl/apm-callback-procs.tcl

I changed the apm_upgrade_logic from  2.0.3 2.1.0  to  2.0.3 2.1.0b2

file-storage:
    upgrade-5.1.0d1-5.1.0d2.sql
        The script did not work,  i commented this line:
        line 49
        -- drop function file_storage__new_root_folder(integer);

This line was a problem for me because i did not have the
        function file_storage__new_root_folder(integer) so i don`t
        know if i should commit this change.

workflow:
    upgrade-1.2-2.0d1.sql

I had a problem with this script because it alters a table:

alter table workflow_fsm_action_en_in_st add constraint
    workflow_fs_action_en_in_st_pk primary key (action_id, state_id);

The instruction crash because i had duplicate rows, I deleted the
    rows,

delete from workflow_fsm_action_en_in_st where action_id='4'; ...

Check the table before running the script.

file-storage:
    upgrade-5.1.0a6-5.1.0a7.sql

I had a problem with a constraint, but it was a problem with a
    row in my system, i searched the row and change a title.

static-portlet:
    upgrade-2.0.3d1-2.0.3d2.sql

This script was not run in the upgrade, check if it is in the
    list of scripts to run, if not run it manually after the upgrade.

psql -f
    packages/static-portlet/sql/postgresql/upgrade/upgrade-2.0.3d1-2.0.3d2.sql ....

These were my troubles,  if you have a problem with a script it
    will be because a row in your system or a constraint.
    See your table and modify or delete rows.

I did the upgrade for two sites,  form 2.0.3 to 2.1.0a2 / 2.1.0b2
    You can use the tarball beta 2.1.0b1 or a checkout from oacs-5-1

Best Regards,
    Héctor.
Collapse
Posted by Cato Kolås on
Hi,

we are upgrading to dotlrn 2.1.3 and encountered this problem with homework-files also being modified. Anyone written a workaround for file-storage/sql/oracle/upgrade/upgrade-5.1.0a6-5.1.0a7.sql ?