.LRN 2.5 Release Management
- Next stable release: 2.5.0
- Las stable release: 2.4.1
- Tentavive deadlines:
- may 31, 2009: code freeze and branch
- june 1, 2009: alpha release process starts
- june 15, 2009: beta release
- july 15, 2009: final release
.LRN 2.5 will contain the packages included in the following cvs modules:
See Aliases at CVS
for a detailed list of the packages included in those modules.
Releases are coordinated by the .LRN Leadership Team.
Weekly technical meetings in IRC at openacs channel:
- Summer: Wednesdays, following the OCT one at 16:00 GMT
- Winter: Wednesdays, following the OCT one at 17:00 GMT.
- Databases support:
- Postgresql 8.2 and 8.3
- Oracle 10 and 11
- Replace "html_p" by "mime/type" and richtext widget for input (news, bulk-mail, others?)
- calendar: localize notifications
- DONE: localize notifications
- removed the SC implementation of search to avoid confusion (search now implemented with callbacks)
- review daveb changes
- added "views" support (explicit dependency)
NOTE: xowiki was NOT part of .LRN 2.4 or earlier. Since noone from the accessibility group has checked, whether xowiki is compliant with WCAG 1.0 double-A, the DotLRN consortium board meeting decided in Valencia to include xowiki and maybe some other packages in a dotlrn-extras distribution in 2.5. This extra-distribution should not have the strong accessibility requirement as dotlrn-all, where every package must be manually checked in detail by some "accessibility expert".
Note by Don Baccus: Honchos, not an ad hoc group of .LRN consortium members, decides what goes into .LRN. Honchos proposed, and the board agreed, that a MINIMUM requirement for inclusion is accessibility compliance. If xowiki hasn't been checked, by default it DOES NOT go in, not vice-versa.
- Removal of .LRN applets: see the Removal of Applet thread
- Wiki (xowiki with special policy set designed for .LRN, i.e. avoid professors writing their own tcl scripts or access the DB (DONE), probably a simplified UI?) Galileo will work on this and a few additions to have a wiki for .LRN, in late may / early june 2008.
- Content package: tools for creating content online for .LRN
- xo-S5: online presentation tool (and get rid of wimpy-point)
- Replacement of static portlets by xowiki portlet pages (need to figure out if we use the same xowiki instance for "portlet pages" and for the wiki)
- Blogger replacement with xowiki blogger? (have to review funtionality list, upgrade from actual blogger, others)
Having the idea of a macro-tool (xowiki) that can be easily customized for specific use with prototypes and others will help us to the reduce the code to maintain.
- xowiki (What's missing?)
- content: produce an standard release that work atop .LRN (oracle & PG).
- xo static portlet (supported via xowiki-portlet and dotrln-xowiki; what else?)
Packages that could be xoified?
There are packages that could be replaced with xowiki/xotcl.
xowiki might need a finer granularity (object level) for permissions (parties), categories, comments.
- news (if we manage to tell xowiki to use dates to display and archive a news item
- bulkmail (like news but with email being sent out and ui for selecting role/users)
I would even to that far to say that we can replace forums (using page_order) and calendar (similar to news/bulkmail but special UI).