How to contribute code that meets accessibility requirement
About this document
- Status: DRAFT
- Updated: 11-jun-2009
The policy for .LRN is published at .LRN website: Accessibility Policy
Corresponding policy for OpenACS is currently being written and will be published soon.
The conformance level to be satisfied is explained in the "Accessibility Conformance Level" section of the .LRN Accessibility Policy.
The "Accessibility page" refered by the .LRN Accessibility Policy states the conformance level and its domain of aplication for each version of the software.
Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
Note: Although automatic tools, such as TAW and "Cynthia says", may be useful to help the developer/author in addressing accessibility issues by providing informative reports, they can not certify the accessibility level of a page since many things need a manual review. Also, those tools won't be able to check a page protected by user and password (they would report on the login page, the one they can actually reach).
WCAG version 2.0
WCAG version 1.0
- The guidelines: explain how to make Web content accessible to people with disabilities.
- Checklist of checkpoints to satify for each level of conformance. Each checkpoint is followed by one or more links to techniques in the
- "Core Techniques for Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0" ([WCAG10-CORE-TECHNIQUES]),
which discusses the accessibility themes and general techniques that apply
- "HTML Techniques for Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0"
which provides examples and strategies for authoring accessible Hypertext
Markup Language (HTML) content.
- "CSS Techniques for Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0"
which provides examples and strategies to help authors write Cascading Style
Sheets (CSS) as part of
accessible content design.
- Techniques: gateway to the aforementioned specific ones.
Once the requirements are met, to contribute your code follow these instructions (one of the two):
- How to contribute to OpenACS
- Contributing code for .LRN: submit your proposal to the .LRN leadership team by:
- posting at the .LRN Q&A forum
- joining the weekly meeting on IRC (tuesday at 18:00 CET/CEST)
If you need more information on how to address accessibility, post your questions at the forums